Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dodge Ram Consumption 5.9L V8????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Fabien from Belgium
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Consumption 5.9L V8????

Hello,

I just rejoin this forum, the most complete about the Ram than i have found.

I would like to buy my first Dodge RAM V8 5.2L or 5.9L. I would like to know the consumption per 100km.

What about the fiability? (automatic transmission, engine, electronic, cruise control....)

And finally, are you enjoyed of your Ram?

Thanks a lot

Fabien

Belgium (Charleroi)

Old 07-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Arcane
Rookie
Default RE: Dodge Ram Consumption 5.9L V8????

Get neither of those engines. Get a 4.7L or a 5.7L.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Mikeg1005
Professional

I think he was looking for an older model.

5.9L more power then the 5.2L. I can't convert this for you but I'll give you my numbers.

5.9L around 14 miles per gallon on the highway,
Then in the city around 10-12 at the most.

Mike

Old 07-10-2004, 05:17 AM
edlance

Fabien,

The 5.9L engine will get around 14 statute miles per U.S. gallon on highway driving as noted. This converts to about 16.8 liters of fuel per 100KM.

The 5.2L engine should do a little better, but not much. A lot will depend on how fast you drive them. Rear end gearing will make some difference as well. I don't know what the speed limits are in Belgium (or if you have autobahns like in Germany with areas of no speed limits....man, I miss that!).

Yes, I love my Ram, very much! I just got a new diesel Ram and it is by far my favorite of the three Rams I've owned.

I had a used 1995 Ram that had the 3.9L V-6. Why anyone would put a V-6 in a full size truck is beyond me. I yanked it out and put a 5.9L V-8 in it that I got from a wrecked 1996 at the junk yard. That sucker would really move then, especially since it was stick.

I traded that truck in on a 2002 Ram quad cab with the 4.7L V-8 and 20" wheels. It was nice, no complaints. Gas mileage wasn't very good, around 13 MPG combined driving and 14.5-15 on long highway driving.

My new Ram is a 2004 QC 2500 4x4 short bed diesel. I've got just over 1500 miles on it and I'm already getting 18-18.5 MPG on the highway and around 16.8-17 MPG combined driving. I like it a whooooole lot. I love that diesel sound!

Old 07-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Fabien from Belgium

Thanks a lot for these precisions and specially for conversion of Miles/per gallon to liter per 100km.Very nice!

So if i understand very well i can buy a Ram without fear of problems.

My budget +-15.000€ allows me to buy her in Belgium a Ram of +-1997. This kind of vehicle is imported here in Belgium from States. A lot of supplementary costs, taxes get grow up the price for imported used car in Belgium. It's the same too for a new Dodge, but this project is out of my budget.

Thanks

Fabien

Old 07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Mikeg1005
Professional

Well her is something you might want to know, I have heard from a lot of people that the trannies on the Rams aren't the greatest and if they are older and have a lot of miles it might make risks that they might go bad and therefore need to be replaced/fixed. But ya thats just something I wanted to tell you, since everyone else told me when I was buying mine.

Mike.

Old 07-11-2004, 03:15 AM
edlance

I hear a lot about Chrysler and Dodge products having crappy transmissions, but the funny part is, I've never had a problem with any of their transmissions nor has anyone that I personally know that owns or has owned a Chrysler or Dodge product (and I know a lot of people that own them).

Even that old 95 Ram I had that I pulled the 3.9L V-6 out and stuck a 5.9L V-8 in...I used the little NP3500 tranny that it came with. I abused that truck and tranny hard and it never broke.

I've had a pickup truck ever since I was in highschool over 23 years ago and I've had quite a few of them from all the major makes...Ford, Chevy and Dodge. The Fords were by far the worst, always had trouble with them. The Chevies were pretty good because of all the available and cheap parts, but the Dodge Ram has been the least problematic of them all. I have yet to break anyhting on any of the Rams I've owned.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Consumption 5.9L V8????