Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Is this true about the 04 HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004 | 07:39 PM
airbrat
|
Professional
Default Is this true about the 04 HEMI?

I've heard even if you replace the intake and exhaust or any other mods it still won't do no good for the truck because the computer will override any new adjustments and bring the new values back to stock? Is this true???

Old 07-08-2004 | 11:17 PM
hemihead04
Default RE: Is this true about the 04 HEMI?

I've read the same thing at many other places. All we can do is wait for a programmer to come out for the 04's [&o]

Old 07-08-2004 | 11:17 PM
vHiEpMeIr
Record Breaker

I've heard some things like that but I guess you can get a chip to fix all of that. Other people on here have stuck intake and headers on their '04 HEMIs.

Old 07-09-2004 | 02:59 AM
airbrat
|
Professional

man that sucks! I have a new intake sitting in my living room only becuase I've been waiting to take my truck to the local dyno. But if the computer is going to compensate for the new adjustments then I really don't see going to the dyno so I can get a before and after comparison [:@]

Old 07-09-2004 | 12:58 PM
moparturd
Banned

You should baseline the truck anyway. Take the intake with you and put it on while your there and see if any difference is registered.

I can't see how the PCM is so much different than the 03, which are seeing gains, to the 04. I just read on here somewhere that someone put the Dynatech Headers on his Hemi and felt a difference through the entire range. The reason that some people are not feeling a gain is that the stock set-up is pretty good. It's supposed to have a tuned length from the airbox to the Plenum, and from there to the valve. Another mod that people are talking about is a catback system. Again this is probably the same situation because the stock piping and routing is good. I can see how the headers would make a huge difference considering the stock exhaust manifolds on the Hemi.

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-10-2004 | 01:07 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Seat of pants feel means absolutly nothing, neither does "runs faster than my buddies whatever". If you don't actually dyno before and after you have no way of knowing what if any affect bolt-ons have. I know the CAI and headers and cat-back systems all "feel" faster. That is because the truck is louder and you just spent $$$ so you want it to make a difference. BC(before children) I spent LOTS of time at the track and would record every run down to weather conditions and exact changes to tire pressure, jetting, timing. It is very difficult to evaluate change without dyno runs.

Old 07-10-2004 | 05:15 AM
71GTX
Rookie

I have two 04 Hemi's. Same everything except tires. Both 4x2 single cab. Before the headers my silver one would slightly outrun the rumble bee time after time. After header/ muffler install the rumble bee smokes the silver hemi after 30 or so. Right when it shifts to 2nd gear it pulls away easily. I'm not so sure about the aftermarket air intake; I got one for 40. bucks that looks just like the more expensive ones, still made out of steel not PVC. Not that it should really matter the material, the air only has a couple seconds in the chamber anyway. I will put it on Sun and see how it does. Anyone put traction bars on their trucks?? I can't find those pesky spring clamps anywhere here in KC. I have some nice bars left from my Roadrunner, thought I might try them.
Eric

Old 07-10-2004 | 06:38 PM
moparturd
Banned

71GTX What headers did you get for your Hemi? The headers were for sure going to be better than the stock logs. How much of a pain were they to put on?[sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 07-11-2004 | 04:34 AM
71GTX
Rookie

I bought the Dynatech header set with freeflow cats. I was not bad to install except the main pipe going to stock muffler didn't fit at all. Had to use a flowmaster 40 to get the right fit. I kept the rest of the pipe stock as the rumble bee has a nice end pipe piece. They weren't cheap, 1100. bucks

Quick Reply: Is this true about the 04 HEMI?