Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

TIP Diameter /Resonace

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:46 PM
GT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIP Diameter /Resonace

Does the diameter of the exhaust tip increase the noise level of the exhaust?

I just had a Magnaflow installed on my 2004 Hemi Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with 3.5"x22" SS tips and it's very loud under exceleration and the drone at 1500-2000 RPM will make your ears ring.

The muffler shop installed the Magnaflow 12288, it's 3" SI and 2.5" DO. It's the same 5"x8"x18" MagnaFlow is now offering in their Cat-Back kit #15683. All the stock hangers were used as well as a pair of new ones for the tailpipes. Those two hangers are insulated with a polyurthene bushing. The pipes don't move at all.

I was thinking about trying either a Flowmaster 50Series #530552 or a Flo Pro 2502.

I wonder if switching the tips to resonator tips would help?

Has anyone tried Adding a strip of Dynamat to the bottom of the bed?

Old 07-11-2004, 11:09 PM
mazz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TIP Diameter /Resonace

Exhaust tips do affect the sound level somewhat. Normally the larger the diameter, the louder the sound. I think part of your problem is the muffler size. I would have gone with the 12588 MagnaFlow. It's a 3" SI / 2.5" DO 5" x 11" x 22". Better yet would have been the 14588 in stainless steel.

The size muffler you have would be O.K. if you had two SI/SO mufflers, but with just one muffler, that size, it's just not large enough for the Hemi. Sure it will work, but because of its size, it's more likely to generate that awful drone you are getting. Also, running duals from one muffler makes the system more susceptable to drone.

I just had a MagnaFlow 14589 installed on Friday (3" SI / 3" SO 5 x 11 x 22), with an '03 Hemi tailpipe, and I have no drone at all. I'm also running a 4" stainless tip. I spent a long time talking to the the owner of the shop that installed it for me, to make sure I understood what they were going to do, was going to give me what I was expecting. I had no surprises.

Quick Reply: TIP Diameter /Resonace