Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

1998 Ram 2500 V10 fuel problem, 4x4 Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Rocket65C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Ram 2500 V10 fuel problem, 4x4 Quad

Hello guys,

New member here, just found the site yesterday. Thanks for such a great site. There's a lot of good info here. I did searches but wasn't able to find anything to help about a problem I've had for 3 yrs. I've gone to the dealer 3 different times but they haven't been able to find any problems, even after draining the tank. My truck dies and acts like it is out of gas. It will sometimes do this even without the gas light on. When the gas light comes on, it starts running rough and cutting out. If I add gas, the problem goes away. However, when the gas light comes on, I can only get 26 gal max in the 34 gal tank! I took care of this by just filling up if I got below a quarter of a tank. Now, though, it is cutting out and not revving above 3k rpm at one third of a tank. Does this sound like a fuel pump issue? If so, can I add an aftermarket pump while leaving the original in place? Thanks in advance.

Clint
Rocket65C[sm=smiley25.gif]

42,000 original miles, all by me.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:55 AM
northkuntrykid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1998 Ram 2500 V10 fuel problem, 4x4 Quad

Welcome! Not sure if this will help at all. I've had 2 vehicals that gave me probs. like that. 1st was a chevy that had vapor lock probloms. The car would be running fine then just cut out for no apparent reason. Also would not start again for like a 1/2 hr or so. 2nd was a Ford. Would do kinda the same thing. Service people could never figure it out either. Then I got a letter from Ford saying that some cars had a chip that was too close to the engine, & when the chip overheated, would cause that problom. No idea about the gas not filling correctly. never herd that one before. Sorry couldn't help more.

Quick Reply: 1998 Ram 2500 V10 fuel problem, 4x4 Quad