Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

2000 Ram 1500 surges while driving until I put transmission into Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM
modus5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram 1500 surges while driving until I put transmission into Neutral

I am getting really frustrated. I have a 2000 1500 5.9L and it is driving me crazy. It has a intermetintent problem. When I am driving at pretty much any speed at no particular time the engine bogs down, I lose speed, and when I give it some throttle, it will backfire through the intake unless I flutter the pedal from wide open to half throttle to get the tranny to kickdown. Then it will accelerate for a couple seconds and do it again. I has died out while coming to a stop a few times. Felt like the torque converter wasn't releasing. If I throw it into neutral while this happens, I have good throttle response until I put it back into gear. It normally continues for a few min. and then goes away for a while, although this time I think it is permanent. I also shifted the transfer case into neutral to see if that made a difference. I have changed the coil, distributer cap and rotor, wires, plugs, TPS and cleaned the IAC and throttle body. I have disconnected the battery to reset the PCM. I have driven the truck with a fuel pressure guage installed and never lost pressure. I replaced the tranny fluid and filter and found it to be very clean with no metal. I took it to one tranny shop where the guy told me to replace the pressure transducer and Govenor Solenoid in the tranny (which I did). He also said the Right bank O2 sensor was lazy(I will replace tonight). I also took it to an AAMCO where it didn't act up and the tech said there was no problem. Finaly I replaced the Overdrive/ TCC solenoid assy, which eliminated the shudder at idle, but it will now stall out if I don't come to a stop in neutral, and it is constantly surging. The only thing that seemed to make any difference was after each time I had drained and refilled the tranny, it went a few miles without doing it. Any help on this would be greatly appreaciated.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Ram 1500 surges while driving until I put transmission into Neutral

throttle valve cabe adjusted? if its out af adjustment the transmission will either lag behind or moves ahead of the throttle on the throttle body.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 1500 surges while driving until I put transmission into Neutral