Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Where is my oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:33 PM
lifted97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where is my oil going?

Whoops! Didnt see your latest post. Looks like you already got your problem fixed. I will pay more attention next time i post!

Old 11-10-2004, 03:39 PM
SnowmoJoe

Hi - I am a FNG... looking for a little more on this topic. I have a '00 Ram 2500 5.9 with the same problem. I can't tell you how many times the dealership has seen my truck over this. 5? I have heard many similar comments from them about this problem.

Here's the deal - my truck has 92K miles on it. My warranty expires at 100K. There is NO WAY I am going to bring this to Dodge every time it goes south - and based on the track record, it's not going to stop happening. What I want to do is understand what is happening in this situation. If the "plenum pan gasket" is really the problem, how does that translate into what's happening inside the engine? I cannot understand how an engine can be consuming the amount of oil I am losing (1 qt every 1,000 miles or so) without seeing some signs - drips, smoke, etc. When this plenum pan gasket goes, what happens to the oil? Is it burning up in the cylinders? The dealership was very reluctant to explain the physics of it all - because they know I will use that knowledge to fix it myself instead of bringing it to them for bookoo $$$.

Also, I am interested in the idea that the origins of this are in lack of proper "break-in" procedures. I am also experiencing the low gas mileage (10 - 12 mpg) that has been mentioned on this page as well.

Old 11-11-2004, 10:14 PM
shakemsam
Amateur

If I understand it correctly; the oil is burned up in the combustion. What I dont understand is the fact that the exhaust doesnt smoke.
Apparently, this has been a known problem as long as 1996. Another symptom is serious engine ping regardless of fuel octane. The dealers have been known to fix the ping by retarding the timing with a computer upgrade. This will solve the symptom but not the problem. It also will decrease performance. Thats why its called the "Death Flash".
My dealer did replace the gasket and plenum and so far so good. I have heard that the problem will raise its ugly head again depending on the quality of the the gasket and the steel plenum. There are after market kits far better than the Mopar kit your dealer will use. But when under warranty you really have no choice. You can download a copy of the TSB describing the problem and fix and take it to the dealer . Not that they havent seen it before but they will probably pay you a bit more attention.

Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2004, 12:34 PM
SnowmoJoe

Has anyone seen/installed this plenum replacement kit? I found this link while searching for the TSB. It claims to be a "permanent fix". Just wondering if I could get any unbiased feedback on it. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.hughesengines.com/general..._fasteners.asp

I figured there _had_ to be a better solution to this problem out there. This seems like it has potential.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:29 AM
aberhammer

Make sure the plenum gasket isn't blown.Look in the throttle body to make sure there isn't oil standing.If so,have your plenum gasket replaced.The plenum gasket is a simple gasket at the bottom of the intake manifold.It seals the bottom of it.Make sure the sync signal is checked ,that's the distributor . It sets the fuel timing.Then if it still pings,check to make sure there aren't any TSB's to flash the PCM.That should do it.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:16 AM
MetalWerk

I have a 99 Ram and a 99 Durango. Both are drinking oil. Vacuum checked the Ram and I'm pull 12hg vacuum on the breather hose. I'm assuming this is way too much so I'm ready to replace the plenum gasket and reroute the ignition wires per the TSB (getting hesitation at 45mph). Has anyone replaced the magnum plenum gasket?

My questions are these:

Since I'll have the manifold removed, should I replace only the plenum gasket or should I replace all the intake gaskets?

Are the plenum bolts and/or the manifold bolts TTY? Do they all have to be replaced? Does the plate have to be replaced? Chiltons doesn't tell me to replace them.

Has anyone tried this plenum kit? http://www.hughesengines.com/general..._fasteners.asp
Does anyone have suggestions as to the best place to get the gaskets (carparts.com etc) and should I use a certain material to avoid this problem in the future?

Has anyone run into problems pulling the A/C away from the intake manifold? Chiltons wont even mention A/C in the procedure. Any warnings or heads-ups would be greatly appreciated.