Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

clearance lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 AM
justalookin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearance lights

i just bought a set of clearance lights for my 1998 and i was told that under the head liner that it has a diagram of where they are supposed to be mounted. Was just curious whether its true or not

Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: clearance lights

I realy dont know, however there is supposed to be a tamplate of where you make your holes to mount the lights in the kit.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 PM
Glideman88
Professional

I installed smoke colored cab lights on my '01 Off-Road Quad Cab last year.

Remove the overhead console, interior light and the trim around the outside of the headliner. DO NOT BEND the headliner as it is taken out of the truck! You will see five holes already drilled out by the factory on the inner cab frame for access to the optional lights. This saves a lot of time and effort in measuring and spacing the lights on top of the truck.

I drilled pilot holes up through the outer skin from the inside of the cab, just big enough to feed the wiring through. I also used small rubber grommets in these holes to prevent the wire insulation from sharp metal edges. There was also a "hot" wire already in the ceiling for clearance lights.

After I had all the lights wired in; I then went on the outside top of the cab and aligned the lights where I thought they all looked straight. When I got each light in the proper position, I used some painters-masking take to hold it in place and then climbed down to take a look from floor level. (I found that it also helped to have the lights on when trying to "eyeball" the alignment.) It took a couple tries to get everything looking right. With the lights still taped down I used stainless steel self-tapping sheetmetal screws to secure each light. DO NOT overtighten these screws as the will start to crack the lens! (don't ask me how I know this!)

Even though the lights come with a gasket; I also ran a small bead of clear RTV around each light for added moisture protection. Then just reverse the order of headliner installation.

I'm really happy with the way mine turned out and hope this brief overview of the project helps!

Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM
JarheadX
All Star

I need to get me some. But I don't want the amber colored lens.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Glideman88
Professional

I have the RECON brand lights. http://www.reconaccessories.com/

My truck is black, so I went with the smoked colored lens.

Quick Reply: clearance lights