Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Adding driving lights to high beams? Lamp out light???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 04:05 PM
cliftonw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding driving lights to high beams? Lamp out light???

I do not know if this has already been posted. I looked all over to try to find it but had no luck. I've installed extra driving lights to my 2003 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 QC but am having trouble with the "Lamp out" light coming on when I first crank the truck. See, what I did, instead of using the switch was just wired them straight to the right-hand bright light wire (white to white-blue and black to frame). If I turn on the bright lights without the truck being cranked the right-hand bright light and the driving lights are out. When I first crank the truck the "Lamp out" light is flashing. If I turn on the lights, flip them to bright lights twice, the "Lamp out" light goes off and all lights are working. What I wondered is if all I needed to do was up the fuse to provide more power to the lights? If so, where is the fuse to the right-hand bright light?? The only problem is, could this cause more problems in the future or is it safe?

Old 07-17-2004, 07:31 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: Adding driving lights to high beams? Lamp out light???

What is probably happening is that the new lights is changing the resistance on the light circuit. You might try using a relay that is turned on by the reg light circuit. This relay will control a power line straight from the battery. More wiring and more time to install. These new computer vehicles are a pain. I was amazed when a friend added stock driving lights to his (ahem) chevy, and had to have the computer reflashed.

Old 07-18-2004, 02:16 AM
mazz
Veteran

Me thinks you are going to fry some wires. The amp draw that you have going on is most likely way too high for the capacity of the wiring harness. Not good. You really need to run a separate fused circuit with a relay for the added lights. The electrical circuits on the new gen Dodge Rams are rather complicated and susceptable to add-ons.

Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 PM
cliftonw

Yeah, I was a little worried about other negative side effects of hooking the lights up directly. So, based on your advice, I added a relay with the power coming directly from the battery and the "switch" as the high-beam. It now works perfectly with no negative side effects. Thanks, yah'll helped a LOT! I tried to upload a picture, but it said the server wasn't available. I'll try later.

Quick Reply: Adding driving lights to high beams? Lamp out light???