Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

02 and newer Ram help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 and newer Ram help

I've noticed recently that when i drive my truck in the rain, or after it has been rained on, that a creaking noise is evident. The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side front of the cab area. There is no noise when it's dry and it doesn't seem to be temperature dependant. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Here's what I have eliminated so far. The door seals, suspension, loose harnesses under the hood, body and bed isolators.

Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated, or experience with a similar noise on this model.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:09 PM
jon5137
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 and newer Ram help

Seems wierd to me, I would take it to the dealer and make them spray it down with a hose to see if you can re create the problem.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
moparturd
Banned

Yeah. Weird isn't the word for it. The dealer won't be bothered with rattles and noises typically.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:34 AM
dodgemech
All Star

Hey Todd-sorry I am so slow in responding-been busy building my 3-link for the rear suspension on my road course car. Now for your project, I haven't actually experienced that problem but have chased many noises throughout my career.I used to see alot of spot welds that needed to be re-done in the areas where cab sheetmeatl overlaps, like in the "A" pillar area and the roof seams. These types of noises are a B!T$H to find. My suggestion is to live withit until you get a few days of bad weather(rain) then take it in, that way there is no reason they wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Might also help to go on a road test with a tech-that way they know for sure what noise they chasing. I chased a creak in a minivan once for 2 months-finally found it in the roof to "B" pillar spot weld. Customer was back the next day-that wasn't the noise they wanted fixed. The noise I heard on braking was sheetmetal flexing-they wanted the brake squeal fixed. Remember that service advisor rarley write exactly what the customer states-they paraphrase, and alot of the time they lose some of the details in translatting the info to the shop.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:34 AM
dodgeramnz
Professional

if it only squeaks when wet it would suggest metal to rubber movement. dry rubbing wouyldnt create a noise but add moisture and theres your squeak. maybe check the hood itself and the rubber supports it closes onto.
Anyway definately rubber to metal contact.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:57 PM
AkDanoM
Rookie

I had a squeek... mine was only suspension though... planning on replacing shocks after i get my new rubber on... only one $800 purchase at a time..

Old 07-26-2004, 05:39 PM
moparturd
Banned

Actually guys I found the problem. Dodgemech get this.

It was the fastener at the bottom rear of the front fender. There is a compression type fastener that goes up inside the body structure that isn't accessible. The creaking I heard was this thing working it's way out of the sheetmetal. Had it repaired and tested it with water and sure enough, that ws it.

I appreciate the help, as always.

Old 07-26-2004, 05:40 PM
moparturd
Banned

Oh by the way. An automotive stethescope is a great inexpensive tool to have.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Quick Reply: 02 and newer Ram help