Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

another jack question, but with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
jimpsm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another jack question, but with a twist

Like many others, I bought a truck (99 2500 Quad cab) that doesn't have a jack--or spare, for that matter--and I'm looking to get something to put in the truck if I have a flat. I've read all the other posts I can find about junk yards (came up dry as it's a popular item!), and third party bottle jacks, etc.

Here's the deal. I used my floor jack to jack up the truck, and measured the vertical height I need to get the wheels off the ground. It's not very much in the rear, as I jacked on the axle. However, in the front, I used the usual notch behind the wheel, and had to raise the jack around 20 inches to get the tire off the ground. I don't think any of the jacks I've found at Autozone/Sears/etc. have that much height.

My question--what do others use to jack up their trucks, especially if they have a similar truck, or a 4WD? Does the OEM jack get it off the ground?

thanks,
Jim

Old 11-18-2006, 06:45 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: another jack question, but with a twist

My buddy has a bottle jack and a 10x10x16 inches with the center counter sunk a little. He sets the jack in the wood "base". He keeps it in the bed. Doesn't take much room.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:01 AM
jimpsm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another jack question, but with a twist

Hmm. Not many replies. [&:]

Your sig lists a 4WD 2500, which I figure sits higher than my 2WD. Does your OEM jack get it off the ground?

Also, I found a jack online for a 2001 Ram 1500. Would that work, or would it be too short?

thanks . . .

Quick Reply: another jack question, but with a twist