Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

lifting with stock susp.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:14 PM
james ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lifting with stock susp.

yeah im not really too interested in playing with the ride comfort.... i have a car that rides like shat, that is half the reason i got a truck, for something big and tough and didnt feel every stupid little bump i go over.

the car is for the not so soft ride that can take curves like a champion, the truck is for something that i dont have to worry about scraping with.... or hitting pot holes.... or any of that shat. i dont expect it to ride like a cadillac but if playing with the susp. is gonna screw up the ride quality, ill probably just keep it the way it is [8D]

Old 07-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Owen

Lifting with a stock suspension is usually never good for your truck. All things such as spacers only weaken your axle and put more strain on it.

Old 07-27-2004, 10:40 AM
cwoods
Rookie

I have a 04' SLT 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 and I would also like to know the best way to lift the stock suspension (front). The easiest way and also the one which doesn't void warranty (if there is one?). I hate how the front basically sits on the ground for a 4X4. I have heard solutions of adjusting the torsin bar and also blocks in the springs. How easy is it to put blocks in the springs? Never lifted a truck before.......though I did have an 89 Dakota and adjusted the torsin bar.

Old 07-28-2004, 02:20 AM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

The 1500 series with the IFS system can only be raised by adjusting the torsion bars, no more than 1 1/2" otherwise too stress on the ball joints and other suspension parts. I did 1 1/2" didnt like the angles, so i backed it down to 1 1/4". The block in the springs will only work in the rear of a 1500. You will still have a "rake" look to it just higher. There is always the body lift option. Then you deal with bed gaps, bumper brackets, etc etc. And if you have a hitch on it, it will be 3" bellow the bottom of the bumper. They run about $300, make sure you get the whole package with bumper brackets. Then if you go with the "big" package, which lowers the front suspension to keep all the alignments right, this is a $1500+ affair. Most kits more than 4.5" require new rims with a different offset and exhaust crossover pipe mods. So a $1500 kit will cost additional $$$ just to get it rolling down the street. I looked into it and the tally came around $3000(kit, rims, tires and exhaust mod). Just to remember that the idea of lifts is to get bigger tires to fit, this is the only way to get the "pumkins" higher off the ground , for more ground cleareance.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 PM
cwoods
Rookie

How does it look with a 1 1/4" lift in the front? Is it noticeable? I just want to level out my truck for now. Down the road.....when I pay some of this truck off I'll put a nice lift kit on it, with wheels, etc..

Do I have to put it on a lift to tighten it? How do I measure the 1 1/4" .....threads?

Thanks![8D]

Quick Reply: lifting with stock susp.