Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

overload spring

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:06 AM
bwstephens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overload spring

just wondering how to remove overload leaf to lower rear of truck. thanks for your help

Old 07-30-2004, 03:21 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie
Default RE: overload spring

Will I used a "dremmel" cut off tool and a nail file. I cut away the rear-end, pinch bolt, and some of the frame, I then carefully remove the spring and or leaf, then had my neighbor kid (he is 8yrs, but really good) weld it all back together, he has just received a new certification in a new and state of the art welding practice: "J B WELDING... it sure turned out well for me.
I did however observer another method, my buddy "Billy Bob" had a professional welder ( extra cost incurred) weld up an engineering marvel, it consisted of chain, rebar, and some funny looking angle iron. This beautiful design of equipment was then securely fastened to a tree. The engineering involved was extremely specific, the operator now had to enter the vehicle, and motor the at a high rate of speed, to remove the leafs via inertia. The physics involved were mind boggling, almost no damage accrued to the springs, and very little to the truck considering the time it took to accomplish. All that happened was a bit of body damage, rear end was a bit bent, drive shaft fell out (no biggie) and just a couple of rubber lines, and I think some wire. Didn't look like much to me, but it was considerably lower than mine.

Hope this helps!

Oh P.S. I herd that if thay are old, they just fall out....

Old 07-30-2004, 03:33 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

Okay I thought that was funny.

I'm not going step by step, but you see those "Bolts" that wrap around the springs to the rear end? there is a little plate there too. They are in a U-shape. Well pull them off, and remove a bolt that ties all the "leafs" together (pinch bolt) and remove. You will have to do a bit of jacking around, I suggest a good size floor jack, and at least one set of good jack stands.

Common sense is required, and perhaps a buddy that has a an idea about this.
I do highly suggest getting help, in addition to first aid kit, fire extinguisher, and a helmet. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:45 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

I'm actually going to add something, if you were unable to have a reasonable idea how this may come apart, I strongly suggest that you do not do this on your own. have someone else do it, or get good help. Nothing personal, and this was easy to poke fun at, but on the other hand there are people that are NOT mechanical whatsoever, that said I certainly do not want to see anyone get hurt, or push there limits. If you don't feel secure, or comfortable ect.. DO not attempt. This is heavy line work, and severe bodily injury will occur.

Quick Reply: overload spring