Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Recovery Straps....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:26 AM
adamsredlines
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery Straps....

Ok guys, what would you suggest in the way of recovery straps...what is a good length and weight rating? I dont know much about these, but since my dad drives a ford..its probably a good thing to have handy

Also, I kinda looked on ebay, and none of them have hooks...is there a reason for that, should you not use hooks or are you supposed to add them yourself?

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:36 AM
proxhemi
Default RE: Recovery Straps....

I know "canada" we have canadian tire and napa not sure what you guys have but probably pep boys would probably carry a selection and if they dont they will most likely know where u can... well my tow straps have "snap hooks" the and they were not very expensive... not sure on how much i paid but nothing over 50 or so dollar canadian.. hope that helps..

Old 08-12-2004, 01:08 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

I know where to get them, I just dont know what "size" is most universal....strong enough for pulling a full sized truck stuck in snow/mud, and a decent length....not sure what is "standard"....20ft....30ft.....

Or am I just making this too difficult, lol?

Old 08-12-2004, 01:14 AM
proxhemi

Lol oops misread that but myne are roughly 20-25 ft. usually a truck weighs almost 6000 lbs + or - .. moststraps have a rated amount on them but i'd try to find one thats a lil bit high or the same amount of weight as your pickup. its not that u'd be pullin 6000 lbs because u probably wont be hoisting the pickup off the ground with the strap but i'd say try and go above the wieght of your pickup. i kno theirs 10000 lbs tow straps ina catologe i have i think its summit racing. just a thought maybe im wrong but mynes worked for me the weight of myne is i think 7000 lbs tensile strenth hasnt broken yet

dan

Old 08-12-2004, 01:55 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Ok here you go. I am probably the best one to offer advice for off-roading since I do it every weekend, so here you go.

If the vehicle weighs under 3,500 lbs, go with a 2" 20,000 strap. (Jeeps with under 35" tires are a good example) If its between 3,500-6,000 lbs then get a 3" 30,000 lb strap(Most stockish 1/2 and 3/4 ton full sizes). If over that, go with a 6" strap. Length doesn't matter. I use a 20' strap, just because I do a lot of trails and there isn't a lot of straight most of the time for a 30' run. I got it at Tractor Supply Co.

The main thing is to get one the right size for the job. Too light of a strap will break, too heavy won't stretch right to snap the vehicle forward.

MOST IMPORTANT! DON'T BUY ONE WITH METAL HOOKS ON THE ENDS!

Get one with loops. Also, do not loop over a hitch ball if doing a recovery. I have seen them snap off more then once. You can slide the loop into a class III hitch and use a hitch pin just fine. Also make sure to use secure tow points when using a strap. If they break free, they will do lots of damage. I have lots of pics I can show you if you don't believe me.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: proxhemi

Lol oops misread that but myne are roughly 20-25 ft. usually a truck weighs almost 6000 lbs + or - .. moststraps have a rated amount on them but i'd try to find one thats a lil bit high or the same amount of weight as your pickup. its not that u'd be pullin 6000 lbs because u probably wont be hoisting the pickup off the ground with the strap but i'd say try and go above the wieght of your pickup. i kno theirs 10000 lbs tow straps ina catologe i have i think its summit racing. just a thought maybe im wrong but mynes worked for me the weight of myne is i think 7000 lbs tensile strenth hasnt broken yet

dan
I have broken 20,000 lb straps pulling out 4,000 lb. jeeps. A 10,000 lb. strap is only good to pull a vehicle, not recover one. You have to figure double the vehicles weight for a running stuck vehicle, 4 times its weight if not running.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

So for the Ram, I should go for a 30,000 LB, right?

Also, as for the hitch thing, I got a shackle for that....last thing I want is one slipping loose, YIKES!

I take your word on the no hooks....but just curious...why not?

Thanks for all the help, that was most informative!

Old 08-12-2004, 03:08 AM
proxhemi

yea sorry my fault misunderstood what u meant by recovery i just thought two strap..never really had pull anyone out of like lets say a huge mud hole or sumthing of that sort i use myne for pullin cars out of ditches and such... sorry bout that... racerbob is right tho.. lol maybe im not as hardcore as he is oh well

Old 08-12-2004, 03:18 AM
RAMINAL02
Amateur

i use these alot.we wheel every weekend.nothing but rocks.we use 20k straps for 3500lbs vehicles but they are jammed in pretty bad though if we need em.get a good strap if your going to buy one.a cheap strap isnt worth having.a good strap should have.1 double stitched loops both ends,2 at least one sleeve on it to prtect the strap if it needs to touch anything or be wrapped around something,3 safety thread.a safety thread is a usually red section of threading inside the strap.when the strap is shot it will start to show.the strap will strech and this is why they put the thread in it.once they stretch so far they loose strength.also another thign when yanking something with a strap throw a sweatshirt or towel over strap in the middle.if the strap breaks it will aim it down instead of letting it fly anywhere.

i use 30ft straps perfect length.long enough if needed want shorter double it up.by doubleing the strap you form a week spot where its folded in half put strap sleeve there.

ones i been using
rock equipment straps at ok 4wd

Old 08-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: adamsredlines
I take your word on the no hooks....but just curious...why not?
Because when they come loose they can do things like this....

That was when I had a tow hook come loose off a truck I was trying to pull out. It hit the truck so hard because of the stored energy in the strap that it pushed the truck forward a little.

And yes, you want a 3" strap.

Quick Reply: Recovery Straps....