Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

tire vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 08:15 PM
jackcurtis4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire vibration

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 series, Quad cab. I put 4 new Michelins on this truck and it vibrates. The front end aligment was done, tires and wheels balanced (3times) and it still vibrates. Any solutions?

Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM
whitey97
Professional
Default RE: tire vibration

have you tried rotating them? to see if it still does it? maybe it's the tires? try a different set of wheels from a friend or something to determine if it's your wheels or your truck

Old 02-13-2007, 03:25 AM
reddragon1q2w

i have the same problem with my 98 dodge ram 1500 but its my brakes, i think they are warped. if it drives fine and then vibrates when stoping mybe it ur brakes like mine.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5 star Dodge dealerships are supposed to have this special balancer,
which is widely considered the best in the industry:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

If changing tires front to back causes your vibration to change in character but not go away,
go back and get the tires balanced by a GSP9700
which can not only balance
but can find broken internal belts
spot out of round tires
and bent wheels

Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM
65Catalina
Rookie

Have you checked the u-joints? my 02 1500 had the same vibration problems, balancing the tires didnt work, so i changed the u-joint and that solved the problem. hope this helps!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
glock45
Professional

ORIGINAL: jackcurtis4

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 series, Quad cab. I put 4 new Michelins on this truck and it vibrates. The front end aligment was done, tires and wheels balanced (3times) and it still vibrates. Any solutions?
Does the vibration move if the tires are rotated to different spots or does it always seem to come from up front?
When was the last brake service done?

I had the same thing after I put on my Goodyears, I had everything balanced and front end alignment. It turned out to be my front passenger brake disk was out of balance. Wasnt warped but needed to be rebalanced and I have not had any issue since then.

I think that the tires and brake disk/drum kinda wear together and then when you change out one or the other you get out of "sync" and notice the vibration.

I had the same issue on my old Ford F150 and solved it when I purchased new front disks.

If you have some jackstands you can get the front end off the ground and see if you can wiggle the tires, could be a sign of worn tie rods or some other suspension issue. How old are the shocks? If they are factory originals it wouldnt hurt to replace them either, shocks will wear out their "sweet spot"and will give the wheels more play so you may notice one wheel is not as smooth riding as the other.

One last thing - on the extreme remote possiblity of having a bad tire from the start, look for any recalls for your brand/model.

Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Webrazor

I have a 2003 long-bed Ram diesel with 49,500 miles. I replaced the entire set of tires with new Michelins. At 39 to 42 mph the truck jumps as if there was a balance issue. I have been to the tire dealer over and over again to move the tires around and replace the right rear with a another new Michelin. They balanced them on the machine and on the truck, but nothing seems to help. I took it to another tire dealer today and they think it might be the torque converter, since it vibrates right around where it shifts into overdrive. I have tried drifting in neutral and it appears it may be better, but it is hard to drift long here on the flat SC roads.

Any recommendations?

Quick Reply: tire vibration