Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Lift with Warrenty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM
DodgeChicksAreBetter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift with Warrenty?

I need some advice! I just bought an 06 Ram 1500 4dr 4x4. I bought the damn extended warrenty and then realizedI can't do to much to itas far as lifts go without voiding the warrenty. I was told I can doa 2" leveling kit and slap some bigger tires on up to 285/70/17. I'm wondering if its worth doing really cuz I eventually want to give it some real height. Is there anything special I can do at this point to get the most height outta it as possible with out ****ing the warrenty up? Or if anyone knows weather or not I have to keep the warrenty at this point or can I have it removed? The truck still has1 &1/2yrsleftunder the mnfctrs wrnty whichI know I still can't do much to the truck with, but at least I would only have to wait 1 & 1/2yrs instead of 6yrs to start getting some real heightinstalled. I'm also wondering what kind of tires I should get. I hear the BFG's A/T are pretty good but I was looking for something a lil more "meaty". I'm not planning on doing any rock climbing with it....more muddin than anything. But I still need it as a good street truck to so a tire that would be good for both muddin and pavement would be my happy medium! If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/70402/F58C952AC72E430A848534A03E7BA3BA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lift with Warrenty?

Just ordered Nitto Terra Grapplers. Little more aggressive than the BFG A/T's but still very streetable and are said to even wear better.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:55 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only part of the warranty they can void is anything that is limited to the suspension. They can't void your whole warranty just for putting on a lift.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not only will the lift potentially void the warranty
you need to telephone your insurance provider
and get in writing that they won't contest liability
if you have an accident with the modified suspension
...90% of the time the insurance company will tell you
they won't honor your insurance...unless a jury makes them.

If someone tells you the Magnuson-Moss law
protects you about mods to your vehicle,
you need to know that you have to go to US Federal Court
to contest something under Magnuson-Moss
and just getting a hearing will have legal costs over $10,000
and it will go way higher than that before the case is over.

As a practical matter, what warranty do you have?
It is a 3 step process:
1. will the dealer do it voluntarily for 'customer good will' (smart dealers do)
2. will the regional Chrysler representative who rides herd on the dealerships 'suggest' that the dealership change its mind and make a warranty repair
3. will the local Small Claims Court Judge order the dealership to make a fix (70% of the time a consumer wins in small claims court if he has good pictures and records)

Old 09-02-2007, 07:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As far as the warranty thing, I have had to fight a dealership & the regional supervisor once before as I had a piston crack with only 14,000 miles on a truck. They were refusing to cover it as I had "modified" the truck. I had a cat-back exhaust system put on. I finally ended up having it covered, after my truck sat at the dealership 27 days untouched, after many aggravating phone calls. When they actually got into the engine, they told me that they believed the piston had a hairline crack in it from the manufacturing process.
So, IMO, if you modify this truck and have a problem, you're screwed.

As far as the tires go, my personal favorites for daily drivers with occasional off road use are Dick Cepek Fun Country II's. A hybrid, more aggressive than an All-Terrain tire while more street friendly than a true Mud-Terrain tire. I've had 4x4's since I was 16 and I'm 40 now, and am sold on these tires. I have 10,000 miles on them and they look virtually like the day I put them on. Wear great on the road and I've been hog hunting in the south Ga. swamplands with my buddies with Boggers & Baja Claws and hung right with them ( and I won't have to replace mine after 15,000 miles on pavement like they do).

As far as the insurance thing, I've had this conversation over a round of golf with my insurance agent. His particular company's policy is that suspension lifts are viewed as not being a problem as long as the kits are installed per manufacturer's spec's, has NOT been modified in any way and is installed by an ASE certified shop and/or installer. For some reason Body Lifts are a no-no, my guy's opinion is that suspension lifts are viewed by his company as a performance modification wheras they view body lifts as just a means to fit bigger tires. Also body kits in conjunction with suspension lifts are a big no-no. I had only had body lifts on about 6 or 7 trucks I had previously and decided on a suspension lift this time primarily after having this conversation with my agent.

Nice truck BTW and I hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Lift with Warrenty?