Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Engine staying cold to long/error code

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 AM
RamNTexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine staying cold to long/error code

Im getting an error code that says my engine is staying cold to long and its running at around 150 degrees unless i get on the highway. Could i possibly just need to change out my thermostat?

Old 02-04-2007, 07:23 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine staying cold to long/error code

yes, or the temp sensor could be going bad. Is this your first winter with the truck? If you bought it used, the prior owner may have put a lower temp thermostat in the truck (to help keep it cool for towing) and you are just now seeing the effect because of the cold. Years ago, I remember removing the thermostat, and to compenstae in the winter, we would block the radiator with cardboard! I'm not suggesting you remove the thermostat, only the idea of the cardboard as a temp fix, if you don't feel like working on it now.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:28 AM
whitey97
Professional

i swear the new 07's heating just sucks, it takes forever to warm up, but if you've got error codes, i would do what the others are sayin, check out the t-stat for sure

Old 02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
RamNTexas

well i actually do have a 180* thermostat but it runs at 130 for the first 25 minutes then will come up to 150's afterwards. This is my second winter with this truck and it didnt do it before (had the thermostat then too). but im definatly thinking it has went bad or something. always damned problems

Old 02-06-2007, 07:51 PM
whitey97
Professional

that sounds like something that's going on with mine, but the people at the dealership say i'm pretty much on crack, and everything's fine.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
crashedcdo
Rookie

first thing that came to mind was a stuck open t-stat. but i would change the temp sensor also. just to be safe. the sensor and t-stat should not cost more than $20 total. also if you are out of coolant it wont read a temp. and may fool you saying the temp is low.

Quick Reply: Engine staying cold to long/error code