Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Bad boots on Upper and Lower Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 12:17 AM
BQHurricane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad boots on Upper and Lower Ball Joints

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 L, Magnum 360 V8, and just noticed that the boots on my upper and lower ball joints on both sides of my truck are cracked and worn out. Is there a way to replace these boots, or would it require having to swap out all four ball joints (entire arm, or just the joints?). Also, would this be a do it yourselfer, or would it be best for me to take this in to a mechanic, and how much should parts cost, and how many labor hours probably? Thanks for any input.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:24 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad boots on Upper and Lower Ball Joints

You can get just the boots I think. Call just suspension. 1-800-872-1548 They sell just the boots for $5 each.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:29 AM
BQHurricane

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

You can get just the boots I think. Call just suspension. 1-800-872-1548 They sell just the boots for $5 each.
Seriously? I got a call from my dad who had called around about this and the lowest quote he got so far was $600 for parts and labor (and that was from a Dodge Dealership). I would definitely only like to replace the boots if I could, but he made it sound like that wasn't possible and I would have to replace the ball joints.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:50 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had one apart, so I don't know first hand, on a Ram. But they can probably source the boot for you. They may even have a better price on the parts if you need to go that route. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:39 AM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

there is really no need to replace the boots unless you spend a lot of time in the mud or sand...My boots have gaping holes in them and have for 5 years, you just need to keep an eye on thema nd be sure to keep them greased up...i usually make sure that i grease them when i change my oil. You can replace just the boots like wase said by an earlier post, but this is obviously a more cost effection way of going about it. Just a little advice from a Cheapo! lol

Old 08-17-2004, 01:08 PM
billyd12
Professional

on my 95 ram i needed to raplace the whole front end, and thats not what the dealer told me either...
everything was visually worn..ball joints, u-joints, tie rods/ends, steering gear box, anti-away links, wheel bearings, etc...
talk about a parts list, anways, chances are that your ball joints are bad anyways, stupid rams and there weak front ends.

Old 08-17-2004, 02:41 PM
grayghost

You should replace the whole ball joint. it can be done by yourself if you want to do that but it is a pain in the A@#. You have to have a fair amount of quality tools to do yourself to include a press and pickle fork for breaking loose your ball joints and that is if they can even be popped out of your a-arms. I have not done it on a Ram but have done it on other vehicles.if they are cracked you will be getting water and dirt intrusion even if you are not driving offroad. this will cause failure and eventually the spindles will break free of the a-arms causing severe damage.

Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 AM
BQHurricane

Thanks for all the replies guys, but I have three different answers and have no idea which ones are practical:
1. Do nothing (grease the broken boots).
2. Supposedly replace just the boots at low cost and keep them greased.
3. Replace the ball joints and arms at high cost.

I have had this truck since Nov '97, and I'm not really sure how long parts such as these are designed to last.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Snafu

Here's my opinions on the 3 answers you listed.

1. Do nothing - Bad idea. Just normal driving will cause dust, dirt, and water to get into the joints. Every time you turn these contaminates will grind in the joints and cause rapid wear and deterioration. Worn ball joints will cause rapid and uneven tire wear, inconsistant handling, and eventually if it gets bad enough the whole front end could come apart while driving. I've seen that, it's REALLY ugly.

2. Replace boots - You could do this, and it wouldn't be the wrong thing to do. But you have to crack the joints free from the steering knuckle to replace the boots. Once you do this you're already halfway to changing them completely.

3. Replace joints - Best idea. You said you've had it since '97 and they haven't been changed yet, so it's probably about time to do them. They are a wearable item. They're not THAT expensive, and it's not really that terribly hard to do as long as you have some mechanical ability, a Haynes manual, and access to tools. My 4x4 3/4 ton cost me $130 in parts that all have lifetime warrantees. I do live in the rust belt, so I had to use extreme persuasion to get everything to come apart, but the 2 wheel drives are not as bad. You do not have to replace the arms on it, just the joints.

This is just the way I'd look at it if it were my own truck. If you need any more information, feel free to send me a private message. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Bad boots on Upper and Lower Ball Joints