Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Engine Washing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 10:50 PM
mikebol
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Washing?

Something I've been wondering about.... I have a 2004 Ram QC Hemi and was wondering if it is safe to wash the motor and how best to do that without causing any damage to the electronics. I regularly clean the radiator fins when I wash it and get all of those pesky bugs out. I'd like to keep the engine compartment clean and pretty too.

Thanks for all advise!

Mike

Old 08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
jon5137
Default RE: Engine Washing?

First Vacum out all the dust and dirt from the engine compartment, those vacums with the brush attachment work great. Next wipe down all the parts with a damp cloth to clean out the engine. If you like you can then armoral the plastics parts for a nice shine, but it only lasts a few days because of the heat so I only vacum and wipe down my engine. I clean my engine compartment every 600 ish miles if you do this your engine will look brand new even at 100,000 +

Old 08-18-2004, 01:07 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man your energetic. I spray diluted Castrol superclean on the engine, brake fluid resv., battery, not the alternator, hoses, etc. Let it sit for a couple minutes then spray off with the garden hose avoiding the alternator. I usually let it run for a couple minutes to dry then wipe down or use compressed air to get anything that remained. Never had a problem doing this, you just have to use some common sense.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:54 AM
TheMightyTITAN!

I heard someone say that they used diluted Simple Green with good results.......never done it, so I can't vouch for it.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:05 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have done the simple green clean. all over the engine, and hosed it off.

Old 08-18-2004, 12:08 PM
TheMightyTITAN!

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

i have done the simple green clean. all over the engine, and hosed it off.

How good does it work?? I was tempted to try it. Did you do it straight up or diluted at all???

Old 08-18-2004, 12:26 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually, if i recall correctly...simple green makes, (or used to make) a spray on foam, and it did a nice job.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:06 PM
moparturd
Banned

I've tried the Simple Green and don't think it works as good. The bad thing about any of these cleaners is that it will remove the clearcoat and paint. Be careful.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I've used simple green for years and have never had any paint problems at all. about once every 4~6 months I spray it everywhere (on a slightly warm engine), then drive it down to the car wash & spray it off. NEVER had a problem... ok maybe once, I had a distributor cap without a dust ring so water got past it (distributor was mounted sideways) and it ran like crap until I opened it up & dried it out.

The Castrol stuff... I use it to clear my drains (WTF?? yeah sink drains!!!), not sure i'd want it on my engine unless it is really diluted.

BTW, if you have a slow drain try the castrol stuff, pour it in & leave it for 15 minutes or so, then flush it real good. I had a slow one 2 days ago & tried Zep drain cleaner & it didn't do squat, yesterday I went back to the castrol & it worked like a charm.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:32 PM
moparturd
Banned

Haha. Never thought of that one, but it would probably destroy the septic system.

Quick Reply: Engine Washing?