Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Subs In a Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 AM
KyleJay178
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs In a Ram?

Hey guys,

I'm interesting in putting subs in my 98 Dodge Ram but am kinda confused on what to do. I don't know much about the process but fromwhat I understand you need a new deck for subs, but as many fo you will know the stock deck is massive in comparison to others.

Is it really neccesary to have a new deck? And if not, will it affect the performance of the subs in a major way?

Also, do you know of any good boxes that fit under the back seat?

Thanks for any help, I'm pretty lost when it comes to all of this. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Subs In a Ram?

Have you tried http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8Jv11xX...zM*l5TDii*yBBf? Go to the link, enter your truck info, and select what style you want (ie custom box, powered sub). Here is just 1 I found with my year make (96 extended cab, infinity sound, JVC DVD player installed). It looked prety cool, fits under the seat and made of a foam. Or the one with the cup holders on top (on the hump between the seats in back for a singal 12"). I like to use Crutchfield because they fit test everything and if you don't like it, they pay for return shipping. Good luck, let me know what you end up geting.
MTX ThunderForms — Unloaded Dual 10"
1995-2002 Dodge Extended Cab Truck

Q-Customs Factory-fit Subwoofer Enclosures
1994-2000 Dodge Ram Extended Cab Trucks
Single 12" Enclosure

Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 AM
reddragon1q2w

NO dude u dont need to get a new deck, the one it came with is ok.the originalmight not be best looking and mybe not have a great sound but you can still hook up ur subs to it. all u need is aone like this crossover. there are some cheaper than thisone but u have to look for one.all u have to do is hook it up to ur high speakersand then out to ur amp. if u dont want to do that u can buy a cheap deck like a walmart or something and hook that up to ur amp.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran

I do not recomend using your stock deck. Aftermarket will always sound better then factory. You can get a pretty cheap pioneer that would sound great. Another problem with factory is if you turn the subs up too much the deck might have a problem with skipping. As far as the size you can buy a dash kit for it. Ive heard that the MTX thunderbox sounds good that fits underneath the seat but i have not heard them myself.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Instigater

I have one box with an 8" Diamond Sub, it fits perfectly behind my seat, under the rear seat. The system was in it when I got the truck 3 weeks ago, so I don't know what kind of box it is. I think know who put it in, I could call them if you would like a name brand!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:22 PM
shnormo
Veteran

I highly recomend using a new deck. But it's called a high to low impendance converter. That taps into a speaker line and then converts it to RCA cables and the higher quality ones have a line output converter. Run your amp power wire from your battery to the drivers side, there are two places to pull the wire through. Through the gromet for the parking brake (easiest). The second one is to drill through the firewallor find a gromet a clutch would go.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 AM
glock45
Professional

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=168

Stealthbox is the best if you wanna spend the money.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Phatboy
Professional

If your truck isa regular cab, then the best thing to do would be to get a new deck, installation is a snap, and you will have the needed RCA that you dont have to worry about wiring in 'high output' adapters from you current speaker wires. Go ahead and get a cross over, you are going want to try and find one that as 'high pass' and 'low pass' this way you can take the highs out of the subs, and the lows out of the other speakers.

You are going to want to get at least two amps, one for the 6x9s in the doors and one for the subs. I recomend getting two 12s and the Qlogic sinlgle 12 enclosures you can get from circuit city. They are simple, well made, and sealed. Remove the storage bins behind the seat and they are the perfect height. to add a shelf like level at the back of your armrest.

run your RCA cables and the power for the amps/crossover on opposite sides of the truck. This helps eliminate engine whine over the speakers. You are going to want to remove the seat. You are going to mount the amps and speakers under the seat along with the crossover, so when purchasing your amps, make sure you get ones that will fit nicely and have room to breathe. I purchased a JBL 100x4 RMS amp and bridged down to two channels to feed two fosgate 12s. Nice sound quality and thumped. I like stuff like GodSmack and Disturbed, but occasionally I will listen to some Rap and Country, depending on the mood. The Amp I got for the 6x9s was a 40 watt RMS KLAudio deal that I used on my Infinity 6x9s and polk audio tweets, that I put in the location of the stock highs(on some trucks they had them mine didnt so I took a keyhole saw and recessed mine into the area above the window/lock control.

be careful the size of the 6x9s it is possible to get some that are too deep and they will cause your door panel to bulge.

Quick Reply: Subs In a Ram?