Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

seperate switch?? for OEM fogs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:06 AM
HEMI 1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seperate switch?? for OEM fogs

This is my first post, I added oem fogs to my 05 ram 1500 4x4 shortly after i got it in december of 05, any way I did not actually put in the fogs i had the dealer do it, after paying for it i walked around to get my truck and immediatley checked to see how they worked, they worked but not with just the park lights, which is what i was expecting. By the way they put in a rocker switch to the left of thegauge cluster just below it, not a standard pullout headlight switch like i was expecting. A week or so later i bought the proper headlight switch which i thought it would be plug and play, it was not although when you pull out the headlight switch for fogs the little icon on the switch indicating fogs lites up,so there is power going throug the switch, but the fogs do not work. After some cursing and frustration, i put the other headlight switch back in and just accepted that i will not be able to have my fogs and parks on. After some reading here i came to believe that it could be a possibility that the computer needs to know that the truck now has fogs. Sorry for the rambeling "sp" i hope i can get this working.

What are you thoughts.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: seperate switch?? for OEM fogs

I have an Intrepid with the OEM lights that works like yours.
I have a RAM with OEM lights that work the way you want (BTW, mine is a push button sw next to the overdrive switch (96)).

It may be a computer issue, if the power or ground is coming from the BCM. If so, you can always re-route the power (or ground) manually to the switch!

I don't know if there is even a re-program option for this, but I would recommend you get a factory repair manual (about $150 well spent). The schematics are complete (not like a little Haynes manual) and it incorporates trouble shooting guides, repair procedures etc specifically for your vehicle. I own one for each vehicle I own. With it you can determine exactly what to do for this issue, and every one in the future.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:45 AM
HEMI 1500

I was going to simply cut the main power to the fogs, after buying the pull out headlight switch again and then jumping power to the wire for the fogs which runs to the main headlight switch, i have not figured it out yet which color i should tap into, however i dont want to mess with the wiring like that since thats not the right way to make the fogs work like they are supposed to IMO ofcourse that is. Not to mention other 05's work like the way i want. I guess i have to go to the dealer to see if the comp needs to be flashed or whatever to know that the truck has fogs in it, then mabey if i get that switch again, it will work.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:09 PM
HEMI 1500

kurts2 thanks for you reply,,,, anyone else have aome info for me..

Thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 AM
reddragon1q2w

what ever u do do not hook up the fogs the the main head lights. what u can do is run a wire to the inside fuse panel and hook up ur fogs to the gauge panel fuse. this will turn on ur fogs when u turn on the parking brakes. the only thing u might have to do is put a slightly bigger fuse. what i like is that u can also dim ur fogs when dimming gauge panel. BUT WHAT EVER U DO DO NOT HOOK UR FOG TO THE HEAD LIGHT IT WILL FRY THE WIRES AND START ON FIRE.

Quick Reply: seperate switch?? for OEM fogs