Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:08 AM
clemcadidlehopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny problem

my automatic trans grinds when it shifts from 1st to 2nd in 2 wheel drive.A mechanic checked it out and said it was the transfer case. is that possible. thanks in advance clem

Old 08-23-2004, 01:55 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tranny problem

Not only is it possible it is likely. I have never seen a transmission grind going from 1st to 2nd (unless its a manual trans). I have seen many t/case failures that made all sorts of noises as the trans loads/unloads accelerating. If you do have a manual, it could be lots of things and should be checked by the dealer.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:55 PM
yankeeralph

Had a very similar problem on 99 Ram, turns out when the tranny was disassembled that the front band was worn out (metal to metal) and scored the direct drum. Caused loss of second also when band was nearlt destroyed. you can see the front band and direct drum when the tranny pan cover is removed. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:30 AM
clemcadidlehopper

Thanks guys, I'll head to the bone yard to see what the damage is-clem

Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
AkDanoM
Rookie

My tranny started slipping and stuttering in first trying to get to 2nd and 5 miles down the road i completely lost 1st gear... Blew out cylanoids in the main tranny, dont know what happened in the Transfer Case because it was all under warranty and i kept my hands clean.. [:@]

Quick Reply: tranny problem