Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

5.9L mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:15 AM
AndrewH
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L mods

Does anyone have any good mods for the 5.9L gas engine? (besides upgrading the exhaust, intake, and supercharger)

I thought I heard something about changing the rockers out for increased power?

Old 08-23-2004, 04:52 AM
dodgefreak
All Star
Default RE: 5.9L mods

I am feelin lazy right now so here is a copy/paste of an old post i made last year....hope it helps

Ok, if you want power you need to get the motor breathing better!! (man i sound like a broken record on this site LOL )

Any way...the best CAI out there for the 5.9 Ram is the K&N filtercharger system!! Its about 300 bucks but worth it!!

For your exhaust...you do not need to spend the money on a cat back system (unless the extra couple hundred you spend is worth the "yeah man! I havve a such and such CAT BACK!! LOL) Your Ram already has a 2.5 inch exhaust...there is no need to go larger unless you super charge the thing!

Just get a nice high flow muffler, Flowmaster, and magnaflow are two great ones that wont break the bank. Other nice ones are Borla and Gibbson...you can also look into your more traditional ones like Headman, or Hooker.

your next step would be a set of headers! MAKE SURE YOU GET CERAMIC COATED!! New headers mean more heat!! The ceramic coated headers will keep the heat out of the engine bay!

Flowtech is a good lower priced (not cheap) header, Edelbrok is one of the better ones out there for the 5.9 but the 2 BEST are Messa (good luck finding a set) and PPH!!

After that you will need a larger Throtle body! www.thefastman.com is a GREAT place to get this! Its a stock TB thats been ported to 52mm!!

Next you want the Mopar PCM!!

After that its up to you but you will see the best gains from a modified stock intake manafold, and either a set of 1.7 roller rockers or 1.6 roller rockers with a larger cam.

Oh, and dont forget the 180 degree t-stat

Old 08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
AndrewH
Rookie

Man, thanks for all the input.

A few questions...

1. I will probably replace the entire exhaust from headers on back. I will go with the Flow master 40 series (love the sound) and I will probably have a "Performance Cat" like yours (if you know what I mean)... Would it be better to do the CAI first or the Exhaust first or does it make a difference?

2. Do I need to do the CAI before or after the TB or doest that matter? (I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the 50mm or the 52mm, yet)

3. What's a PCM?

4. I don't think (not sure though) I can open my engine without voiding my warranty, but that's probably not going to be a problem. What cam do you recommend or do you recommend the cam and rockers come from the same company?

5. Is there a 180 degree t-stat that's safe fail (or whatever they're called)?

6. Are there any good electric fans that will work with a 4x4 application?

Once again thanks for all your input.

Old 08-23-2004, 11:43 PM
dodgefreak
All Star

Lets see here

1. With this the order you do it in wont be a big deal. Once they are both done you will get the same gains. Just ty and have these done before you do much else

2. I would do the CAI first. The point of the TB is to allow all the extra air the CAI is getting into the engine. For the 5.9 I would recomend the 52mm if you are going to be doing more than just intake/exhaust mods.

3. Powertrain Control Modual. The brains of the engine. It takes the input from all the sensors on the engine and trans and uses the info to keep the air/fuel ratio and timing right. The performance PCM alters the air/fuel mix, timing and shift points...as well as gets rid of the speed gov.

4. If the dealer can PROVE that the problem was caused by an aftermarket part then they can refuse to do the repair. Adding performance parts can not void the warrenty otherwise. The cam I see used the most is the R/T cam from Mopar. Having a cam and rockers from different companiese wont make a difference. Just make sure to get new push rods and guide plates when you do the rocker arms.

5. dont know....but I use Robert Shaw and have not had a problem yet

6. Perma Cool is a good brand...and I know of a few people that are using Electric fans from the Viper

Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 AM
AndrewH
Rookie

Thanks for the additional info.

Mods aren't that much of a problem. My best friends step-dad is a master machanic for the local dodge dealer and has a 2000 5.9, so I can get his discount for replacement parts. I just don't want to get something installed then have to turn around and remove it and replace something it broke. I know that on the stangs waranty states something about opening the engine (which I'm not exactly sure what that intells, like taking the vaulve covers off or taking of a head)

So you buy a 5.9 RT cam and install it into the regular 5.9? Is it an easy installation?

What's a PCM go for? Are they easy to find? Is one manufacturer perferred over another (unless only one company makes 'em all)

Will the viper fans cool a 5.9 4x4 (i guess cooling the 500ci v10 would be easy on 5.9)? Does anyone what the cfm should be for this application?

Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 AM
dodgefreak
All Star

The regular 5.9s and the 5.9s from the Dakota R/Ts are the same motor, so are the cams. Mopar has a after market cam called the R/T cam.

As for PCMs you can get one from Mopar for about 300, there are programers that allow you to use the PCM you have and just reset the settings.

As for the fan I am not sure of CFM needs.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
DeathSpiral

Sort of newbie question here, but here it goes.

Would these mods that you outlined help with towing a trailer with a jeep on it (say 7,000 lbs) a lot better? I guess it would be better, but how much better with the amount it cost to do the upgrade. Around how much would this cost ( ball park) for everything you listed?

Debating whether to update the 5.9 or dump it and get a diesel.

I probably will have someone else do it as I lack the knowledge, skills and work space to do it.

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

ORIGINAL: DeathSpiral

Sort of newbie question here, but here it goes.

Would these mods that you outlined help with towing a trailer with a jeep on it (say 7,000 lbs) a lot better? I guess it would be better, but how much better with the amount it cost to do the upgrade. Around how much would this cost ( ball park) for everything you listed?

Debating whether to update the 5.9 or dump it and get a diesel.

I probably will have someone else do it as I lack the knowledge, skills and work space to do it.

Thanks.
I can relate to trying to pull a 4x4 toy on a trailer with a 5.9, can't believe how much it hates it. And its just a built Samurai. I since made a tow bar, and its much happier pulling it that way. The local ORV park is only 10 miles away, and its nice not having to deal with a trailer all the time anyways.

Old 08-28-2004, 01:19 AM
DeathSpiral

10 miles would be nice. I'm 150 miles. :-(

Quick Reply: 5.9L mods