Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dodge transmissions and bad rap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
crovo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge transmissions and bad rap?

Why not ask the experts? I talked to my AAMCO guy this afternoon. He says he gets Fords and Dodges all the time with transmission problems. He has over a dozen cars in his lot right now, and only one is a Toyota. It's the first Toyota he's seen all month (and it's the end of the month). It's true. Dodge and Ford, and most American manufacturers (and Mazda, which uses Ford trannys) have bad transmissions. If you want to buy a Dodge, make sure you at least have a very long powertrain warranty. If you buy a used Dodge, purchase a powertrain warranty through a third party. Better yet, get a Toyota, a Honda, or a Nissan. AAMCO guy says he seldom has to fix their transmissions.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Mr5150

ORIGINAL: crovo

Better yet, get a Toyota, a Honda, or a Nissan. AAMCO guy says he seldom has to fix their transmissions.
Why in the hell would I want a damn Toyota, Honda or a Nissan?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they're all junk. 46, 47, 48. just plan on replacing it with an aftermarket rebuild and don't worry about it. (or the cracked dash or the sloppy steering).

Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Rocky The Ram

If you buy a used Dodge, purchase a powertrain warranty through a third party. Better yet, get a Toyota, a Honda, or a Nissan.

Troll Alert.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I see that kills transmissions, is lack of maintance and using the wrong fluid. When someone comes in with a problem and you ask how often they changed the fluid and filter, they look atyou like you are speaking a foreign language. I have a 92' Dodge with over 345,0xx miles and never had a problem, but it gets serviced regularly. Our shop truck has over 250,xxx miles with no problems and it gets thrashed regularly.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM
97rammn

I had 120,000 on my tranny when it went out, and the trans. was good but the torque convertor clutch when south sending all the shavings through the rest of the trans. Trans fluid type is very important to all transmissions now adays. also adjust your bands with every fluid change, I did mine once a year as a minimum.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
JBoze

I had 207,000 miles on my '99 1500 5.9 when I sold it. I changed the trans fluid and filter myself one time, at 107,000 miles. I believe the more you open it up, the more problems you cause!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 PM
nateblong
Professional

104,221 miles and my 46re hasnt missed a beat yet. Previous owner changed the fluid and filter at the factory intervals with atf+4. When I got it at 98,500 I put in aft+4 synthetic. I just complrted a 2600 mile round trip to Maryland and it never missed a beat, even in the mountains of W.V. I set the cruise and let my mopar take me home. and back............

Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
casper3380
Veteran

ORIGINAL: crovo

Why not ask the experts? I talked to my AAMCO guy this afternoon. He says he gets Fords and Dodges all the time with transmission problems. He has over a dozen cars in his lot right now, and only one is a Toyota. It's the first Toyota he's seen all month (and it's the end of the month). It's true. Dodge and Ford, and most American manufacturers (and Mazda, which uses Ford trannys) have bad transmissions. If you want to buy a Dodge, make sure you at least have a very long powertrain warranty. If you buy a used Dodge, purchase a powertrain warranty through a third party. Better yet, get a Toyota, a Honda, or a Nissan. AAMCO guy says he seldom has to fix their transmissions.

Interesting what you have here. I would venture to guess you have never actually worked on a Ford or you would know that Mazda makes the 5 speeds used in the late 90's models. Most intermixed brand transmissions gor mazda to ford, not the other way. And something you need to realize is that people that actually use their trucks for work (as a whole always exceptions) dont buy nissan and toyotas. Its inherent, you work it, it will eventually break. Big companies (again as a whole) dont use nissan or toyota trucks. So the ratio he gave you isnt actually fair do to the fact that the camparison is like apples to oranges. And like the Nissan went a model year or two with minimal or no rearend fluid. Every make has its problems. Maintenance, driving style, and the occasional lemon effect tranny life span.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 AM
Tractor
Professional

We r on Dodge #2 -(#3 is on order). Dodge #1- 2000- Dakota Quad cab 4x4 w/360 &45RFE trans. Rated to pull 6000lbs. Pulled a 3000lb tent camper 12 times. Fluid changed every 12,000 miles. Trans went out at 48,000 miles. Complete rebuild w/shift kit was 1500 $. Warrenty was more than rebuild. #2- 2004 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4 w/Hemi & 545RFE trans. Rated to pull 10,800lbs. We pull a 30' toy hauler 6500lbs empty 10,500 loaded. First things I did when new- installed an engine oil cooler rated at 28,000lbs- a transmission oil cooler from a one ton crewcab dually w/Hemi ( stock was a 12 row cooler, this one is 22 row-almost as big as the radiator.) Took off trans pan,drilled a hole & had a nut welded on the outside & cut bolt so it did not protrude into pan. 27,200 miles- drained fluid 2x --- no problems so far but I hate the trans for pulling the camper, it's geared all wrong. Ordered the new PowerWagon w/6-speed G56 manual. I even had the 545RFE re-flashed at the dealer because of the TSB on that trans.. It was much better but by NO MEANS did the "hunting" go away. It is like a 3 speed w/2 overdrives. The 6 speed IS a 6 speed.

Quick Reply: Dodge transmissions and bad rap?