Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

RE48 Transmission Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Bigriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE48 Transmission Upgrade

Hello All,
First time poster, long time reader here. I've read this end of the forum here since Aug. of 06 when I bought my 2006 3500 4x4 Mega. No doubt the answer to my questions are buried in the back pages somewhere, but I thought I'd ask for the latest and greatest opinions of the here and now.
I tow on occasion a 17000 lb. fifth wheel camper around the somewhat flat southern states. I'm planning a trip this summer to the upper rockies and I'm strongly considering upgrading with a power programmer, an upgraded transmission to transfer it to the pavement, and of course a way to stop the damn thing when I need to! So, any opinions on :
a) transmission upgrade
b) brand of exhaust brake
c) Power programmer
I realize that covers quite a bit of discussion, so I'll thank everyone in advance for your two dollar tour of monster diesel transformation.

Later,

Walt

Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 AM
drifter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RE48 Transmission Upgrade

I have a 00 cummins ram 2500

i would recomend a BD torque convertor, and valve body as a good m ild upgrade to handle the power box upgrade that your planning.
available at www.bd-power.com and numerous other diesel performance sites.

for a box i would recomend the bd x-power, as you have a 06 it will increase your power up to 140hp. and is reasonably priced.
and edge box ie edge juice with attitude, but its the same box and the same horsepower but is more expensive.

bd also offers a exhaust brake that is similar but more effective than a jacobs brake.

to make use of your bd convertor, valve body, exhaust brake and power programmer i would recomend that you also add a towloq, torqloc or autoloc as it will lock the torque convertor to make the exhaust brake much more effective.
the three different loc's are just upgrades from the previous box, with increased price as well. but all do the same thing effectively.

hope that helps

Quick Reply: RE48 Transmission Upgrade