Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Ramit4714
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid

Ok I have a 98 Dodge Ram, I bought it used last May. I've had no problems or anything really with it, but now whenever I drive it and the Transmission heats up the O/D OFF lights comes on, on the dash and you can smell tranny fluid almost like burning. And when the light comes on the truck will like not no what gears (mostly btw 3rd & 4th) and will like go back and forth and then finally go into 4th but now it wont shift into 5th when that light is on. It will run 3000 rpms but won't shift into 5th gear. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows anyway to fix it. Thank You for you help. =]

Old 03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny Fluid

how many miles are on it? also if you have the owner's manual it addresses this issue. It states that the OD will turn off when the tranny heats up then re-engage when it cools down. Are you towing a load when this happens? When was the last fluid change?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

You may want to check your radiator for cold spots. Your tranny lines go through it and if you haven't been keeping up on your coolant flushes ect, it may be plugged up. If it just happens to be plugged up in the zone the tranny line passes through, your tranny fluid will overheat (and not your engine). As mcss8541 was correct about the OD light. Your shifting is also probably due to your overheat. Fix the overheat, and I bet it will all clear up. A word of caution though, don't keep overheating it!!! You WILL burn up your tranny.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Ramit4714

yeah it got an oils change and tune up and everything about a month ago maybe and they did all of that to it. How would you check for cold spots? Thanks again. =]

Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

1. Ensure the cooling system is full.
2. Run the engine for a bit (untill hot).
3. Touch the radiator in diffrent areas.
4. It should be the same heat on all the spots you touch.
5. If not, there is a cold spot.

No problem. Let me know, and good luck!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Ramit4714

Yup felt the radiatior today and there was a cold spot on the left side of it..I will probably call a few places tomorrow and see how much they go for unless theres another way to fix it? Thanksagain for all your help.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

No problem.
I would suggest you change it and not mess around with a flush or rod clean method. It's usually cheaper to buy one at a local parts store and change it (also less headache). Then you also have a new radiator. Make sure you flush your cooling system before you put the new one in. Also, make sure the trany lines are not plugged, and change your trany fluid and filter (especially because of the recant overheat you had on it).
Good luck

Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
jnk111

ORIGINAL: Ramit4714

Yup felt the radiatior today and there was a cold spot on the left side of it..I will probably call a few places tomorrow and see how much they go for unless theres another way to fix it? Thanksagain for all your help.

When you say the "left" hand side do you mean standing in front of the truck looking at it or sitting is the drivers seat left side. The transmission cooler is on the passenger side of the truck in the radiator, I am thinking that is the spot you felt that was cooler. If that is the spot there will be two lines running into the radiator that will run under the motor. If that is the spot, the radiator is not your problem. If you just started the truck up and let it get warm and the touched the radiator the tranny will not heat up as much as the engine coolant will.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Ramit4714

Yeah thats where it was cooler andI touched it after it was driven around for maybe and hour or a little more. So if its not the radiator would it be the lines or could the be something wrong with the transmission itself?

Old 03-15-2007, 03:40 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

When jnk111 gave his input, I believe he thought you only ran it for a few minuites without actually driving it.

ORIGINAL: jnk111

If you just started the truck up and let it get warm and the touched the radiator the tranny will not heat up as much as the engine coolant will.
That doesn't appear to be thwe case from what you just said. Also heat disperses fairly evenly on a correctly opperating radiator. Try it with a vechile you know is functioning properly as a test reference. As for being the trany itself, yes it could be plugged up causing an over heat. I'm sure there are other conditions that will cause one to overheat (such as slipping), but you never mentioned any problems untill the trany actually overheated. That is why I was leaning in that direction. I must say that I am in no way a trany expert. I only sugguest a common easy fix that you can try for a bout $100. This is a lot cheaper than a new trany.What would you suggest jnk111?

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid