Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004 | 09:07 PM
pershingd
|
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Rotors

Hello all! Newbie here so bear with me. I've got a 2003 Quad Cab 2wd 4.7L that I've already put 41000 on and the only problem I've had since it was new has been the dreaded warped brake rotors. I've already had the problem fixed once under warranty, but the first time I came to a stop with a mild load - warpsville. Since I'm not too hopeful for the dealer to do anything helpful - I was wondering if anyone has replaced the rotors with aftermarket units (ie not from dealer) and eliminated the warping issues.

I managed to get the dealer promise to reimburse the cost of the extended warranty when I reach 70,000 miles if I don't need it when I bought my truck, so if I can remedy this on my own for less than that $1300 refund check I'm game. Besides, I'm not willing to lose that money by having the dealer "fix" it again and then have to replace the rotors on my own anyway.

Thanks,
David Pershing

Old 08-28-2004 | 10:27 PM
mazz
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Rotors

Sure hope you got that reimbursement promise in writing. Otherwise, you may be out of luck. But that's another issue.

There are several ways to go. If you want to stay with rotors that can be resurfaced, there are some good quality rotors available from other than the dealer. These normally cost less than $40 each. A good set of pads may run $50.

If you are interested in high-performance rotors, there are both slotted and cross-drilled. Early on, cross-drilled rotors had a problem with fatigue cracks. Either way, these rotors will run a couple hundred bucks a pair. Ceramic pads for these rotors go for around $80 a set. Some have warped these also though, and once warped, they are toast. They cannot be resurfaced.

If you can do the work yourself, you'll save whatever the labor would run you.

Old 08-28-2004 | 11:12 PM
purdueranger
Veteran

I am running rebestis(sp) rotors and hawk brake pads. That pain around 160 for all of it. rotors were about 50 a piece and pads were about 53. I like them alot. Dust isn't bad and they don't squeek like the cheap pads that were on it earlier.

Old 08-29-2004 | 01:45 AM
pershingd
|
Professional

Thanks for the info so far.

You bet I got that refund in writing and I'm guarding that slip of paper with my life. I figure that when the time comes, they're going to bellyache about it, but that's their problem.

Old 08-29-2004 | 10:57 AM
HEMIDAZE

pershingd,
The early warranty repairs were just a free brake job. After a while a TSB came out that determined that the problem was bad calipers. Did your dealer replace your calipers? If they didn't it should still be covered.

Old 08-29-2004 | 02:08 PM
Sean99TJ

the other thing to check is torque on your lug nuts...if they are torqued unevenly the rotors will warp when the get hot and I don't care who makes the rotors. If you or your tire guy whoever that is is not using a torque wrench when installing your wheels you will warp your rotors...some might take longer but all will eventually warp. If your tire guy is using an impact wrench to "tighten" your lugnuts run really fast to another establishment of service.

Old 08-29-2004 | 03:12 PM
pershingd
|
Professional

Sadly enough, the work was done after the TSB was released so they haven't been too cooperative about doing more in relation to the first go round.

What's weird about the whole thing is that as long as the brakes stay cool, they stop smooth as silk. Push them harder (ie heavy rush hour traffic) and they begin to pulse and shake, which is what they were doing prior to being fixed the first time.

From past experience, getting the dealer to recognize and admit to the problem costs me more in missed work and aggravation than the cost of hunting it down myself and making sure its fixed.

David

Old 08-30-2004 | 03:13 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HEMIDAZE

pershingd,
The early warranty repairs were just a free brake job. After a while a TSB came out that determined that the problem was bad calipers. Did your dealer replace your calipers? If they didn't it should still be covered.
If your vehicle is out of warranty then it's out. If a TSB comes out stating to replace some compenents that doesn't you get to have it done just because it applies to your vehicle-you still have to be within 3/36 to have TSB perfromed free of charge.

Old 09-01-2004 | 07:01 PM
pershingd
|
Professional

Too true. Besides, my brake probs don't match the the TSBs description. I would have just replaced the rotors myself the first time, but parts were unavailable and I thought I'd give the factory a crack at it first. I've got replacements for the front and will be changing them this weekend as well as checking everything else out while I'm under there.

In the past, I've never bothered trying to turn warped rotors (as the dealership did) and just replace them. I'm hoping that this will solve my problems for a long time.

Daivd

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors