Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

am I too picky w/ my '04 HEMI???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004 | 11:07 PM
aepHEMI
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am I too picky w/ my '04 HEMI???

Hey All,

I bought an '04 Ram HEMI SLT about a month ago and I love it so far (Graphite Gray Sport Package). I drove up to Tennessee the other week from Atlanta, my first little road trip, and it handled so well up in the mountains. Anyway, I don't know if I'm being too picky but a couple things I noticed:

- my gear shift (automatic) kinda sticks when I go from (P)ark to any other gear. Should I get this checked out? It seems to happen when I haven't driven her for a couple of hours.

- My drivers side window "moaned" when I let it down for like 3 days the other week. Then it stopped (it only happened at night if that's relevant). What's up with that?

- with the mounted digital gauge I can get a readout of estimated mpg; will it show current mpg? Do I reset it to show this? Also, is this reliable? When I drove off the lot I was at 11.9 and it settled at 14.1 for a while. I reset it for the first time the other day (and after fluctuating for a day betw/ 10.3 and 17.4)and now it reads 15.9. I guess I could fill her up and do some math with the odometer...but I'm lazy!

- Lastly, and most importantly, I drive very smooth and don't test 0-60 at every red light! Although, I would like to put my buddy's Chevy in it's place every so often. When I do get up on it, it won't shift until like 6+K rpm, or so and it also launches kinda slow (granted it weighs a lot). Is 6K a redline for this truck as it doesn't show on the tach. Is that normal? Otherwise, in my daily driving I'm shifting at +/- 2K rpm's. I don't floor it b/c I'm scard too...but if I did will it smoke the tires? Don't worry, with only 2K miles on her, I'm not being too rough...but I still wanna have fun!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Drew

Old 08-29-2004 | 12:35 AM
Matrix04
Rookie
Default RE: am I too picky w/ my '04 HEMI???

the transmission sticking is totally normal on this truck, it helps to press firmly on the brake, the window im not sure about you might want to get that checked out, with the estimated MPG, if u reset it at the beggining of the tank and let it go until you fill up the next time, it will be almost 100 percent accurate, unfortunately you cant just see current mpg unless you reset it every few seconds, which isnt very accurate anyways. With the shifting, it automatically shifts around 5500 rpm, depending on how you drive it, the computer adjusts the transmission. It wont burn out because it has traction control, dont try any of the mods that disconnect these features because they will void your warranty, i was VERY picky at first also, but i learned to just relax and enjoy such a nice truck and am so happy with it now, hope this helps

Old 08-29-2004 | 01:29 AM
OutSider

well, the times i've drove my moms hemi, i've noticed that the transmission will stick on occassion but nothing major. this truck will not smoke the tires off the line.. they may break traction just a tad, but most of the time, they will grip and go, which is somethign i like, but in a black topped parking lot while turning and geting down on it.. the truck will break traction and squal and the shifting at 6 grand is about right for when you're gettin on it. when i drive the truck im always hot roddin it because its a fun truck to drive.

Old 08-29-2004 | 01:58 AM
aepHEMI

Thanks guys; that was very helpful feedback!

Old 08-29-2004 | 02:46 PM
CalHemi
Veteran

Another thing to remember on the Tranny, there is no linkage between the Shift tree and the transmission, its all done by computer, (mine does this also) so I think it has something to do with the relay between the two and the signal going to the tranny. I am a put it in gear and punch it kind of guy, too used to a stick I guess, so I have had to train myself to be more patient.....yeah right haha!

Old 09-01-2004 | 01:56 AM
aepHEMI

Ok, I have another question; I know this may sound stupid and I've posted this question on here before to no avail and the owner's manual was vague:

Do I have high beams on my truck?

I can pull the lever toward me and flash someone, but do I have constant high beams; that stay on? Like in any typical car you can push the lever forward and they will stay on...not on my truck! It's not a big deal b/c the fog lights light up pretty well...I just thought it was strange.

Old 09-01-2004 | 03:53 AM
CalHemi
Veteran

High Beams, OH yeah, and when you come up behind someone on a dark road at 90, the move really quick!!! [8D]

Old 09-01-2004 | 03:41 PM
SSgt1234

Well the low beams with fog lamps are pretty bright and the high beams are not that much brighter, but to activate them all you have to do is pull the lever towards you as if you were flashing them and keep pulling a little harder until you hear a click anxd your high beams will stay on... if that does not work then you have a problem that your dealer needs to correct...

BTW the camaro that I traded in had no way of flashing the high beams. I think it is because it shared so much architecture with the Firebird and they did nt want the hastle of having to program the delays etc into the flip up lights...

Quick Reply: am I too picky w/ my '04 HEMI???