Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

can not remove battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Olympus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post can not remove battery

I have a 2008 sprinter 2500.

My problem is that one of the bolts holding the battery bracket in place can not be removed from the top. It just keeps spinning and spinning.

I have not found an exploded view of that part of the vehicle but based on what is happening I am guessing there is a nut on the underside of the battery bucket that has broken free of it's welds.

Does anyone have an image of that assembly?

How do I resolve this dilemma?

I hate to have it towed to a dealer for this

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Old 01-02-2022, 03:41 PM
asteeper

Originally Posted by Olympus
I have a 2008 sprinter 2500.

My problem is that one of the bolts holding the battery bracket in place can not be removed from the top. It just keeps spinning and spinning.

I have not found an exploded view of that part of the vehicle but based on what is happening I am guessing there is a nut on the underside of the battery bucket that has broken free of it's welds.

Does anyone have an image of that assembly?

How do I resolve this dilemma?

I hate to have it towed to a dealer for this

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Hey Olympus, I'm curious what you ended up doing to get this issue resolved? I find myself in the same situation with my 09 Sprinter...

Old 01-02-2022, 04:59 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

He posted that in April 2021 and has not posted since.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:00 PM
Olympus

Originally Posted by asteeper
Hey Olympus, I'm curious what you ended up doing to get this issue resolved? I find myself in the same situation with my 09 Sprinter...
I got tired of looking for documentation on the vehicle. Even the service manual I purchased did not show what was at the other end of that bolt.

I was kind of surprised that no one in the Dodge Community even offered up a guess to help me. Can you believe that your post is the first one since I posed the question

So, It is still unresolved. The few times I needed the van I just jump started it.

The Sprinter goes in in a few weeks for Brakes and an open Recall. I will have the dealer take care of it at that point.

I hope you get someone that can help you with yours

Mark

Old 01-03-2022, 03:36 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Olympus
I got tired of looking for documentation on the vehicle. Even the service manual I purchased did not show what was at the other end of that bolt.

I was kind of surprised that no one in the Dodge Community even offered up a guess to help me. Can you believe that your post is the first one since I posed the question

So, It is still unresolved. The few times I needed the van I just jump started it.

The Sprinter goes in in a few weeks for Brakes and an open Recall. I will have the dealer take care of it at that point.

I hope you get someone that can help you with yours

Mark

I've dealt with blind bolts over the years. They are always fun to deal with. Can you reach underneath and feel the rotating nut? I've never been under the hood of a Sprinter. I think it's Mercedes based. If you can post a picture of what you're dealing with, maybe we can figure something out. I've got several ideas but some are mutually exclusive.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:17 AM
asteeper

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've dealt with blind bolts over the years. They are always fun to deal with. Can you reach underneath and feel the rotating nut? I've never been under the hood of a Sprinter. I think it's Mercedes based. If you can post a picture of what you're dealing with, maybe we can figure something out. I've got several ideas but some are mutually exclusive.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up removing the entire battery tray (battery and all) so I could fix this on a bench in a heated garage instead of in the snow.

Anyways it seems there were two small brass nuts that were molded into the glass fiber plastic, both were heavily corroded and broke free inside the molding. I ended up cutting the plastic away so I could get a wench on the brass nuts so the bolts could be removed. After that just reinstalled the tray and battery in the van and used a couple of washers and nuts to replace the plastic/brass nuts I removed.

Old 01-04-2022, 06:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 575 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by asteeper
Thanks for the reply. I ended up removing the entire battery tray (battery and all) so I could fix this on a bench in a heated garage instead of in the snow.

Anyways it seems there were two small brass nuts that were molded into the glass fiber plastic, both were heavily corroded and broke free inside the molding. I ended up cutting the plastic away so I could get a wench on the brass nuts so the bolts could be removed. After that just reinstalled the tray and battery in the van and used a couple of washers and nuts to replace the plastic/brass nuts I removed.

That's what I probably would have done. I've never worked on a Sprinter or it's Mercedes counter part so I can't say for sure. I'll bet it was a whole LOT cheaper than having the dealer take care of it, and they would have probably done the same thing.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:00 PM
mike paner

I've got several ideas but some are mutually exclusive.

Last edited by mike paner; 02-13-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: can not remove battery