Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Engine Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 12:55 AM
Sphinx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Overhaul

Ok, I just bought a 93 Stealth ES from my aunt for like $500, it has like about 140k miles on it, and the lifters are bad, I can hear them. So, I am going to rebuild the engine. Anyone know where I can get the kit for this? I jsut want like, the internals, the bearings, gaskets, pistons and such....let me know. I also need I believe it is an Idle Positioning Valve, in the cold, it starts and idles REALLY low, like, it often stalls while idling. Thanks guys!

Jese

Old 12-21-2004, 02:28 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Engine Overhaul

Lifter tick in these motors are very common. In the first few generations (from 91 to 98) the oil oriface in the lifters was only 1mm. In 98-99 the oriface was increased to 3mm. The lifter tick "shouldn't" harm anything, but it does sound like ***. I would try a seafoam treatment first, that should quiet down the lifters somewhat. My car has 150k on it and I have had no problems with it, other than a little lifter noise.

For your idle problem I would look into the Idle Air Controller. It is on the throttle body, it could be dirty or not functioning properly.

You can purchase all of the parts seperately from places like 3sxperformance, but I would suggest looking into a factory shortblock (from the dealer). If you are deadset on rebuilding it. Then have some headwork done, but using the 1999 lifters (same part #).

Old 01-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Sphinx

Yah, that's what I had heard about the Lifters. But, at certain points, when I accelerate, I can smell the oil burning, and, i go through like a quart a month...and thats not healthy. Not to mention, when I add oil, it seems to quit down considerably. Yah, I was thinking of using a Shortblock, but, I decided to just do it all from scratch myself. I'm gunna buy all new Aluminum Pistons, new High Perf cams, new Crank, new Roller Rockers (if I can find em for the Stealth, not all cars have them) all new Valves, bigger Throttle Body, Bigger Injectors, all new Bearings, the whole 9 yards. And after a little tuning, I think she'll be HAULING. Good old 3 litre Honda beater.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:03 AM
thestealth
Champion

Well then, good luck with your rebuild. I have never seen any roller rockers of our cars. I don't think they are applicable to our OHC designed engines.

As far as your oil problem goes, it could be many things. Barring any leaks, it could be valve seals, rings (a compression check for this), clogged or malfunctioning PCV valve (cheap, check it first). I cannot think of anything else off of the top of my head for the oil burning problem.

I have heard these engines can be tiresome to rebuild due to their "zero tolerance" design, but it can be done. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Engine Overhaul