Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Replacing Valve Stem Seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM
takai
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Valve Stem Seals

My Stealth is currently sitting in my Fathers Garage in Southern Utah, needing an Overhaul. The 3rd Cylinder is not compressing enough to ignite the Mixture, and the suggestion I've heard is that it's most likely the Valve Stem Seal in that Cylinder cracking, due to the fact of how it has slowly gotten to that point(it started out just smoking a bit after idling for too long).

I'm going to be going down there in a few weeks to do a minor overhaul on the heads, and I'm just curious as to how many gaskets and whatnot I should replace while there. My Dad recommended that if the seals are bad, the guides and Valves are probably needing to be replaced, as well. He also mentioned that we'd need a Machinest to press the Guides in.

I'm working on a bit of a time limit, I'm only going to have maybe 4 days to do this, and it's over a weekend, so finding a Machinest to do that is a bit of a stretch. Is this true, and can anyone verify the Seals going bad easily? Anyone who has pulled the heads for a minor overhaul having suggestions?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
takai
Default RE: Replacing Valve Stem Seals

Here is where I mentioned teh Smoke being a problem:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_537930/mpag.../tm.htm#537930

I had a Leak down test done on it, no compression in the 3rd cylinder, 5th was fine(I'm guessing the tester I used at the college was just crap), but all Other Cylinders have perfect compression. I guess it was thestealth that initially told me about the Valve Stem Seals.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
takai

Still don't know what the problem is, but I'd need to repack the Cams in the front head and fully unload teh engine from teh cradle just to pull the heads, so I'm not bothering. I'm thinking of puting a $1000 Price tag on it and letting her go, I'll go with an older, less complicated car to rebuild.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM
yevgenievich
Captain

not sure about the problem you have but it might be easier to but a used good runing motr and just drop in. Or you can get older car to work on. I ended up buying 89 firebird to build and just keeping the stealth runing as a daily driver. I only went as far as replacing vaulve seals on my heads so i don't have much advice farther then that. You can check http://www.stealth316.com/ for more info

Quick Reply: Replacing Valve Stem Seals