Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

supercharger.. Turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 PM
evo42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharger.. Turbocharger?

well.. I have a 93, SOHC ES 3.0L 6 cyl 5 Speed dodge stealth. My question is: Would it be better to upgrade to a DOHC, get a turbo, or keep it an SOHC, and get a supercharger..? Or, can you even add a single turbo to an SOHC engine?

And, to start off.. I don't care about pricing.. keep that out. I love the car I have, and I want to work with it. I've already looked in, and I see this everywhere. Looking for answers, not 'oh you shouldn't do that' responses. I want something that'll last a while, but not too long. I want to work with the car, I already have. Simply put: Its my project car

And, where would the best place to start, be, for getting a supercharger, Turbo, or upgrading to a DOHC? Any help in that, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok simply put there is an old saying that is still so true. there is no replacement for displacement. and second yes a DOHC will most deffently improve power and torque. my seggestion tho. get away from the 3.0 the motors were junk from the factory get in to the 3.8 if at all possable. (idk if there is a conversion for this or not. something to look in to.) also you need power in to motor to build power with the charger and to stop lag with the turbo.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it's really about what kind of power your looking for. They both have their pros and cons. A supercharger is belt driven and will give you immediate power, and a turbo works off the exhaust and will result in a slower power production, but will give you the most power for what you can get. I've seen guys take a supercharger off their Ford GT's and throw on a twin turbo and make 1100HP from the supercharged 550HP.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Heres a link I found about pros and cons to each. It doesn't seem to technical but it's good for a general idea.

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/turbo...ercharger.html

Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
evo42

So, I figured I go with a supercharger, and get off the line quicker, and what not. I always did love that accelerated power. Not too big on the 'different types' of noise, so long as it doesn't sound like $hit.

so, another question is.. where in the hell can I find someone to make, or buy from someone, a supercharger for my exact engine/what type would I get?

Also, thanks for the help. And as for changing the engine type. Its not that I don't want too, its that I don't know where to go, and get such things.

I want my car to be the best. Or compete with the best of its class/type. That's really what it boils down too.

Last edited by evo42; 03-16-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by evo42
So, I figured I go with a supercharger, and get off the line quicker, and what not. I always did love that accelerated power. Not too big on the 'different types' of noise, so long as it doesn't sound like $hit.

so, another question is.. where in the hell can I find someone to make, or buy from someone, a supercharger for my exact engine/what type would I get?

Also, thanks for the help. And as for changing the engine type. Its not that I don't want too, its that I don't know where to go, and get such things.

I want my car to be the best. Or compete with the best of its class/type. That's really what it boils down too.
You would have to do the research and figure out works best for your application, go to howstuffworks.com and look up superchargers. I'm sure they have all of the types and how they work.

As for the motor, you can get one on eBay at a usually pretty affordable price. The only problem with that is you don't know the engines maintenance history and what not so you could have some problems there. I suggest tearing it down and check everything. Since Superchargers/Turbos increase compression, You'll probably have to invest in some low comp pistons or have them cut.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM
evo42

Well, searched ebay. ton of 3.0l, and no results for 3.8l's. Well, dunno which 3.8l would fit in to that car, but I see a few.. jeep engines.. lol

Last edited by evo42; 03-16-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Then maybe try to find a 4.0 or something. you can *******ly make anything fit, you just need the right motor mounts. The other thing is the transmission to engine connection. you might need to rebuild more than you want to.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:27 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Wtf m8? Virt ually*

Old 03-16-2011, 09:28 PM
evo42

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...ssoriesQ5fGear

Something like that, maybe? I'm not too 'knowledgeable when it comes to engines. So, bear with me.

Infact, I jsut recently started getting in to cars, when I got back form my deployment.. which was a month ago, so.. yea. lol

Quick Reply: supercharger.. Turbocharger?