Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

stealth sputters when the engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 AM
fescue101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealth sputters when the engine is cold

my stealth sputters when the engine is cold and when i try to start it after it sits it takes 4 - 6 seconds to start. but after it starts it will start right up after that as long as i dont let it sit for longer that 10 mins.it just started the sputtering a couple days ago but it has lost prime since i bought it 2 weeks ago.what is going on?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Girly TT
Veteran

what year is it, and which trim is it? (SOHC, DOHC, Twin turbo?)

Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
fescue101

its a 91 and its a dohc.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Girly TT
Veteran

Could be your ECU. Pull that out, and check the capacitors.

Remove the 2 carpet panels on either side of the center console area. 3 bolts hold the golden colored box (just behind where the radio is), and pull it out the driver side foot area. 4 philips head screws hold the cover on. Pull that off (careful not to strip them, they're tight), and check the cylinder looking things for a gooey substance, black/burned board, or if you smell something funky... that is a key indication that your ECU is bad, and you need a new one/rebuid.

If you are not sure what you are looking at, take some high resolution direct head-on pictures of the board, and post them up or email them to me, and I will let you know if it is bad or not.

ECoppola@gmail.com

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
fescue101

i checked the capacitors and the board and there are no sighs of leaking or black spots. does it sound like it could be the fuel pump? because i do hear a whistleing or hissing sound that sounds like a turbo coming from the back. only when i get on it and get it up to about 3000 rpm. the car is none turbo.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
fescue101

i found out what the whistling was. it was the exhaut pipe on the right because if i hold my hand on the right side it stops. now i am just woundering if i should change the fuel pump or would it make a difference in how it starts?

Quick Reply: stealth sputters when the engine is cold