Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Going to push it off a cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
missmikki
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to push it off a cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so frustrated with this car and so is my mechanic! LOL...........
Anyway, it is a 91 Dodge Stealth ES DOHC. It just started this new thing of dying whenever and where ever it feels like it. It does not sputter or jerk, it just dies. I can be driving on the highway or stopped at a light, doesn't matter, it just dies! We've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and have had the mechanic hook up the computer which showed no problems. Mechanic drove it and of course it wouldn't die for him. What in the world could be wrong with it?

Old 08-19-2005, 06:39 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Going to push it off a cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would bet that it is the ECU. You can get screwed by a stealership to the tune of about $1300, or find a remanufactured one for between $200 to $500 depending upon where you go. (I recently found one at O'Reilly auto for $215) The part # should be MB159963 for a DOHC motor.

The problem is, Mitsubishi used substandard capacitors in their ECU's. Over time, the Caps. will start to leak their electolyte. This will cause them to have varying voltages that will wreak havoc on your ECU. It will cause it to shutoff, like you are describing, idle poorly, etc.
If enough of this stuff leaks out, it can fry the whole board because the electrolyte is caustic.

Here is a GOOGLE search for Mitsubishi ECU. You may want to call around to some local autoparts stores as well. Give them the p# I listed and they should be able to get one for you.

EDIT: The ECU is located behind the radio in the center console. On each side of the console you will see two plastic caps, under those caps are screws. Undo the screws and you will be able to remove the carpet pieces from both sides of the console. There are 2 bolts on the driver side and one bolt on the passenger side that hold the ECU in place.(10mm socket will remove them)

Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

I've seen that problem in other cars. Could be the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor. I had a car doing that, car would die randomly, no fault code. Finally found it when it died for good.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:38 AM
missmikki

Thank you! I am going to have it checked out some more but now it runs perfect and doesn't die at all. Weird car!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
missmikki

Is it at all possible that this could have been caused by bad gas?

Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM
thestealth
Champion

Always a possibility. Just drive it and see if the symptoms resurface.

Quick Reply: Going to push it off a cliff!!!!!!!!!!!!