Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Fuel tank leak update

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM
jamesdrc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank leak update

Toddrs93, you are exactly right. My leak was at the top of the fuel pump. I won't go through all the details, but in short, I purchased a new tank assy, which includes the pump and fuel level sending unit. A very expensive purchase I might add. Being in the rust belt, all of the possible donors I found had similar problems,ie, broken studs on the tank, twisted pump output tubing,etc. Thats why I went new. However, I've encountered a new problem. The hose fitting and the swivel nut on the tubing on the chassis side will not come loose. Wire brushed it, soaked it with Kroil penatrant and it still wont budge, even with pipes over the wrenches for extra leverage.I'm considering cutting the new hose and installing a hose barb connector and industrial grade crimp style clamps to remedy the situation. We use them all the time on our water cooled welders at work with water pressures as high as 90 psi without any leaks. I know water is not gasoline and if it leaks, no biggy. However, with no alternative available, I'm considering it. I don't know the fuel pump pressure and I'm guessing it to be no more than 40psi. Does anybody know what it is? And has anybody got any viable options? Need some help soon,thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
jamesdrc
Smile Fuel tank update

I found out the fuel pump pressure is 40~45 psi at idle on the N/A engine equipped cars. So, without any other option, I cut the hose and installed a 5/16" brass barbed hose coupling and small worm drive clamps. No leaks and we're up and running again. Before cutting the new hose, I did remove it from the pump tubing and used some never sieze thread lube on the fittings thus insuring its removal in the future should future repairs be needed. The new fitting removal required a 14mm flare tube wrench with a 18" pipe on it for leverage as well as one on the 19mm wrench on the hose fitting side. Be careful when doing this as the hose fitting side is the only side that turns, the tube side nut is part of the tube and does not turn. In all my years experience, I've never seen a fitting this tight, not even on 1000 psi hydraulic systems. Thats probably why all of the used units I seen had severely bent and destroyed tubing. I seriously doubt there will ever be a replacement fuel line made for these cars and when it finally rusts out, a new one will have to be fabricated or a donor car will need to be found. Until then, we will be enjoying our R/T.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 AM
toddrs93
Rookie

Yep I have two certain wrenches I use just for that job as they are usually ridiculously tight and you get one good shot where it will either loosen or bend and strip. And yes alot of times people do exactly what you did, cut it and put your own hose on. We usually just flare the ends a little and use fuel injection clamps on the new hose but your set up sounds even stronger

Quick Reply: Fuel tank leak update