Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

running problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:57 AM
2stealths2fast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running problem

i recently got my ECU rebuilt for my 93 R/T TT and now that it is in it is running like crap the dodge dealership recomended a tuneup but they have been very wrong before but the car will barely start and when it does and i got decently fast and shift to second it just dies and then it really doesnt like to start. I also had the ECS taken out is there any idea of what i should do or what is wrong or anything -Thanks

Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 PM
daverdeam
Default RE: running problem

Hello, I am sorry about running problem.
The very first thing I would do is to determine if the problem is a result of “closed loop” operation.
This is fairly easy to do, but requires getting access to the wiring into the ECU and doing some simple wiring modifications.
You can “trick” the ECU into operating in the “open loop” mode by disconnecting or grounding the coolant sensor signal. This will force the ECU into ignoring sensors like the O2 sensor and will run the engine according to a “look up” table stored in non-volatile memory.
If the car then runs reasonable well, you’ll be able to assume that some sensor or signal into the ECU is causing the problem.

If you need detailed help to guide you through a step-by-step process to isolate the problem, let me know and I’ll send you web-links and technical specifics.

regards & good luck!

Old 01-23-2006, 12:45 PM
2stealths2fast

Well now i think the problem caused the ECU to go out again because its not getting any spark and the check engine light is not coming on without the ECS what else could make this thing go out again if it somthing with what u are talking about then i will need to get it fixed again and do your trick but the biggest problem it has is starting for 3-7 seconds and then dying for absolutely no reason i have replaced the fuel pump and checked the fuel filter and relay any help is greatly appreciated

Old 01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
jakster
Rookie

Crap rebuild job on the ECU they do not usually give you much of a warntee on the ECU maybe the board was bad and they still put the capasitors on and did not test it. I think you have to have a good shop do this work or do as I did and do it yourself. How much per hour do you get to do that kind of work Mc Donalds may pay more,if you get the drift. Some where I saw something about the ECS causing some problems on cars equiped with the suspencion control look back on the site also check on www.mitsubishiforum.com and see 3000gt posts and see if someone has a fix or similar problem. If the computer is sending the right siginal you could check the coil trigger and see if it is firing allright. Are your injectors clean useing good injector cleaner not the cheep stuff and high test gas only regular will foul this car real quick.
Good injector cleaner costs from $7.95-$14.95 per treatment and should be done at least once a quarter or every three months.
Also your plugs may be getting bad at around $140.00 to put Iridium or Denso plugs in the car NGK also good they may have not been done for a long time. See www.3sxperformance .com for the gaskets you need to do the job if you do your plugs if the shop does them still might want to have the gaskets so they get it right. You have to pull the fuel injection off the engine to change the plugs. Also look the engine over real good and see if any vaccume hose is off or broken it will make them not want to start or run for beans.

Quick Reply: running problem