Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

92 R/T Engine Upgrade Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:51 PM
Halfpint32usa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 R/T Engine Upgrade Project

Hey guys/gals,
My sister is looking at a 92 Dodge Stealth R/T but the engine is blown.
Now this model has the 3.0 DOHC V6 but it's not the turbo and it's FWD Auto.
She wanted to put a used or new Twin Turbo out of the R/T Turbo but that car is AWD, Stick, and 4Wheel Steering.
From what I was able to gather off the net the two engines start out as the same thing before intercooling and all right?
So will it be possible to put the Turbo in this car or would it have to undergo major changes to the computer, drive trane, etc.?
Would it fit in there? and if so would the added power rip up the trany? I know it's like an 80HP jump, would that matter?
And if she just sticks with the non-turbo could she get a turbo kit for it? Would she wind up melting the block if she did?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks a Bunch!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 92 R/T Engine Upgrade Project

There is quite a bit involved in a conversion. I don't know all the details, (having never done one) but I know you will need parts like, exhaust manifolds, motor mounts (just the front I think), turbos, intercoolers and piping, oil pan and lines, oil cooler, ECU and wiring harness, plus more.
For the most part the engines are the same, but there are a few minor differences. You can use your current engine, but it has a higher compression than the TT motor, so you will not be able to run as much boost, but if you only plan on running stock boost (about 10psi) it will be more than strong enough. Yes, it will fit fine. It will bolt up to the tranny fine, but the TT ECU will not send the proper signals to the TCU to pull timing at shifts. There are a few people who have done this conversion with a auto-tranny, but I don't know the specifics. There is a member on our sister Mitsubishi site that has done this, he would be better able to answer your questions in greater detail than I can. jomojr is the guy you need to contact.
You could probably piece together a "kit" but there is not one currently you can buy with everything you need.

Good luck with this project and please let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: 92 R/T Engine Upgrade Project