Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Adding Turbos to an ES

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 07:59 PM
flaVius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Turbos to an ES

I was wondering what other modifications would have to be done to add a set of turbos to a stealth ES. I was reading speedfactors post about how they did a motor swap with a ES and VR4, but he said that just adding the turbos was feasible, but has less power potential.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:13 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding Turbos to an ES

It would be ideal if you could also get the DOHC heads from the better 3.0L.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:06 PM
thestealth
Champion

Does your car have a DOHC motor in it now. If it does you can get parts to convert it to TT. You'll need a VR4 donor car from a junkyard or something like that. A lot of parts you can buy aftermarket from a shop such as Dynamic racing or GTPRO or some other tuner/shop. You will need different motor mounts, possible an ECU(some have had the NA ecu work for them, but not at high boost), the oil pan drilled and fitted with oil return lines for the turbo, exhaust manifolds and downpipe, either stock or aftermarket intercooler(s). It has been done several times that I know of and it seems to work very well with the exception of no traction, but what high power FWD car has good traction.

The reason the normal NA motor will not produce as much power as the TT motor is due to the difference in compression ratios between the two. A TT motor has less compression than a NA motor so it can withstand more boost. If boost is retained at stock levels (6 to 10psi) the NA motor is actually has a little more lowend torque. Which may or may not be a good thing, back to the traction again.

There is much more to it than I have listed. All of this info I got from 3si.org. I have never been involved in a swap personally so do not take this as gospel. You should do as much research as possible before attempting something like this. Defineatly check some of the dedicated Stealth/3kgt sites for more accurate info than I can provide, from what I have heard it is not a project for the poor, nonmechanically inclined or the faint of heart.

Oh, if your car is a SOHC, you cannot just swap on a set of DOHC heads. The blocks are the same 6g72, but I believe some of the waterjackets and such do not line up.

Good luck, I hope you can go through with it.

Old 05-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Dano Sport

Thank you very much i have been looking around desperately trying to find ways to increase the speed of my car. This will help greatly.

Quick Reply: Adding Turbos to an ES