Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Creedence
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions

Alright, I didn't really know where else to go with this, so here I be.

I am about to buy a 92 r/t turbo stealth, as a matter of fact its sitting in my driveway right now until I can take it in to a garage, but being the impatient sort I could use some speculations as to whats going on here. I got htis from an old friend of the family, 63k miles on it, one previous owner before him who apparently put at least a K&N on it, and this guy I'm getting it from said something about how he did other stuff too.
Now, I have a check engine light that comes and goes, and there is a vibration thats going on. Popping the hood, the whole engine is shaking in place. It really looks like a issue I had with my mustang gt where a coil pack and plug got really messed up and shot the compression on a cylinder which made the whole car shake hardcore. The thing is, driving in it, it feels like the vibrations are sort of coming from the back end.
Anyhoo, I took the thing out and the boost gauge pops up to around 14 under acceleration, but the damn thing just does not go anywhere. I took it back and let it run for awhile and it seems like it had a little more go when i took it for another spin, but this thing is not as fast as its supposed to be by a damn sight. Is this possibly just a plug issue or something to do with the carhaving sat for about a year and a half only being run here and there? Any input you guys want to give would be appreciated.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 AM
Bob The Great
Default RE: Couple questions

Have you tried the pull-spark-plug wires test? That could tell you if one of your cylinders is having problems. Even if you're not familiar with the test, it's easy to do.

Locate the coil pack on the passenger's side forward bank of the engine
One by one, pull each spark plug wire off of the coil pack with the engine running, and listen for changes in the idle of the car
Replace each wire before pulling the next one

If you pull one of the wires and hear no difference in the idle, then that cylinder is most likely the one with problems, and you can narrow the problem down further.

Another possibility is bad motor mounts. By this time, the stock motor mounts have probably gotten dry and cracked, and may not be supporting the engine as well as they should be. Bad motor mounts can make the engine shake, and can even transfer the vibration to the driveshaft, making it seem like it's coming from the rear.

However, based on the car's sluggishness, I'd say you probably have a problem with one of your cylinders. Do the spark plug wire test, and if you find a bad cylinder, check for the4 essentials - air, fuel, compression, spark.

Once you get it figured out, I'm sure the car will be a blast. Make sure you do the 60k mile maintenance soon. Those timing belts like to snap when you least expect it.

Just FYI, I know I'm new here, but another great resource for these cars is www.3si.org. Not to put in a plug or anything, but there are a lot of knowledgable people who post there (myself humbly among them).

Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Creedence

Alright, thank you so much, I will try that with the front bank. I looked this up and it looks like the back bank of cylinders is going to be a little harder to get at, but thanks for a place to start. I was actually gonna do the plugs today right after I take this last godforsaken exam. The car damn near stalls getting off the line, but again, thanks for the advice, and I'm gonna see what happens when I rip into it a little today when I finally have time.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Bob The Great

All 6 spark plug wires are easy to get to. They all run to the coil pack right next to the front bank, so just pull them off from there. Here's a pic of what you're looking for.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Creedence

It's only firing 3 cylinders right now...did the plugs myself, then took it to my garage, they said its either the fuel injectors, the PCM, or the wiring to the injectors. Do injectors from any model stealth work or do I need high flow ones for the TT? I can't seem to find information anywhere, I'm hoping its not the injectors cause those things are pretty damn pricey from what I can see.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Bob The Great

you need the 360cc TT injectors. Try the guys over at www.3si.org/forumYou can usually find someone over there who upgraded his injectors and is selling the stock ones for pretty cheap.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Creedence

Alright, it is the computer that controls the injectors I guess, apparently 3 of the injectors are not getting any pulse, so what do I need to replace for this? the whole ECU? Because that looks a bit pricey as far as I can tell...

or is this thing what i need:
http://replacement.autopartswarehous...t&dp=false

Sorry if I'm plugging another site I shouldn't be, the part is at autopartswarehouse, under fuel injection, ECU for fuel injection under a 92 stealth r/t turbo.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Bob The Great

I don't know about that link you posted. You have to be careful with buying ECU's for these cars, and make sure you match up cali-spec, year, trim, etc exactly.

Which 3 injectors are you having trouble with? Before replacing the ECU, I would get busy with a multimeter and make sure that the wiring to the injectors is ok.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Caspian

I would almost be willing to bet that its not the ECU since all three plugs are not firing. If you ever start to get a hesitation or studder around 2500rpm, then you should start worrying about the ECU (and probably getting another car). This sounds like a sensor or broken or wire somewhere. Listen to Bob, if I'm not mistaken he builds some killer aftermarket stuff for the 3/S community. You can also get used coil packs for pretty cheap too.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Creedence

Well being young and foolish I listened to the mechanic I took it too who said he was 90% sure it was the computer module, sent that in to avproecm (which was leaking from those rubicon capacitors anyway so maybe its not all bad) got it back and wala, still no dice on the same three cylinders. The 3 cylinders were not getting pulse, I assume they are still not...but does anyone want to tell me how to check? Because my bank account is damn near exhausted now due to all this bs and everyone knows how much fun college is for finances, which basically means I can't really afford to waste money with idiots at a garage charging me a lot to do work, 99% of which I can do myself.

Its the middle cylinder on the front bank I believe, and I'm not sure which two in the back. Anything else I need to post up just ask and I'll let you know as much as I do, and thanks again everyone who is taking the time to read this and post up with suggestions and help, I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it because I need to get this car running.

Quick Reply: Couple questions