Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2003 Stratus downshifts hard

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 03:03 AM
03strat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Stratus downshifts hard

A couple months ago I had a pretty good leak in the transmission lines. I took it to the shop and here the lines were very loose and that's where the leak came from.The thing is, I had been driving it all along not knowing that it was leaking until it was to the point where it would not shift from Park to Drive or Reverse [:@]. I got the leak fixed, added all new Mopar oil and the only problem I'm having now is that it downshifts hard sometimes. It only happens when I'm slowing down and the rpm's get to about 1000. Am I in need of a new transmission or can I go on driving it like this?? It does not slip and goes up into gear fine, it's just that problem with the hard downshift around 1000 rpms. For the heck of it I checked to seeif there were any stored codes on the computer and it came up with P1193 (battery has been disconnected with in last 50 starts) and P1684 (Inlet Air Temp Circuit is High) - I have no idea what to do with this code... anyone know? Please help, I want to try to avoid high mechanic bills!! Don't we all??

Thanks

Old 04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
014x459
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Stratus downshifts hard

When you were low on trans fluid you had what's called a "loss of prime" inside the transmission. What you need to do is go to a dealership or any other repair facility that is capable of doing it, and have a "Quick Learn" performed. It takes about 5 minutes and includes simply hooking a hand held computer to the car, going into the Transmission Control Module and "relearning" the TCM.

This is very common.

Quick Reply: 2003 Stratus downshifts hard