Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

P0451 CEL Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 PM
julfaj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0451 CEL Problem

Hi guys,

First of all I want to thank anyone that helps me with this problem. I am getting a SES light which throws code P0451 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance. I have no idea how to fix this issue so I am here to ask for help. Does anyone know where I can find the sensor that is giving me the code or what I need to do to fix it?

ThanX

Old 05-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: P0451 CEL Problem

what year and engine

Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 PM
julfaj

I drive a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe with a 3.0L engine

Old 05-20-2007, 04:03 AM
tomthedog
Captain

don't have a lot of know-how on this prob so i lookedin my haynes ($20 at the parts store). from what i've read it sounds like you have a prob with the tank venting off pressure or fumes. as the outside temp goes up the gas in the tank takes up more space. the air "bubble" (that is filled with gas fumes) inside the tank gets smaller and the tank pressure goes up. the tank is made to vent off at 1.5-2 psi, lets in fresh air at 0.6in-Hg (14in-Hg is sea level). if you had an issue with letting air into the tank i would think the eng would start to stall and choke as the gas got lower. as you have stated no issues with the car running poorly i'm thinking this is more of a sending unit prob than a real mech issue. all my book says is the purge tank solenoid is by the gas tank. i'd stop by my local parts store to see if they had a parts pic you could look at. my book isn't real good with the 3.0 eng. i've had luck in the past by stopping by the dealer parts store and BS-ing with them. just be straight up, you can't pay what theycharge, 99% are car guys and understand 'cause they have been in the same sit. hope this helps, lets us know what you find out. good luck.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

Your gonna need to go to a dealer u need the DRB3 inorder to run the tests required to check if there is bad hardware or what sorry. No haynes maunal will help u out with a 3.0L

Old 05-26-2007, 09:37 PM
julfaj

My car drives well until I have to fill her up; it turns on fine but then has problems staying on. The problem goes away when I start to drive her and it doesn't become an issue until I have to fill up the gas tank once more. I guess I will have to take her to the dealership and let them tell me what is wrong with her.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:18 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i remeb reading a sim prob. only had probs when the tank was full. the factory eng peeps got in volved.

this is it: www.dodgeforum.com/m_670689/tm.htm
hope it helps.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:06 PM
julfaj
Default Thank You tomthedog

Thanks tomthedog and everyone for being of great help. My car does exactly what is mentioned in the post tomthedog so I will check with the dealer and find out what outrageous price they have for the Purge Solenoid and Evap Cannister. I hope that by fixing this it will fix the CEL that I’m getting. I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again for all your great help

Quick Reply: P0451 CEL Problem