Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

cv joint, axle, or struts??? or other

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Bobbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv joint, axle, or struts??? or other

hi im new and just aquired a 95 plymouth breeze. not used to a car that gets blown off the line by a segway scooter.
anyhoo at about 35 theres a loud whirrring and s vibration coming from the left side of the engine bay... i think. but it goes away when i turn left. i also think the power steering is going cause it chirps when its cold and works kind of. when its hot out it works fine, but i still got that damned vibration. somebody throw some idears at meh please.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: cv joint, axle, or struts??? or other

the vibe sounds like it might be a wheel bearing, as you turn the load moves to diff parts of the race. the other sound, try replacing or snuging up the p/s belt. they get old and strech a bit then slip and make noise. hope it helps.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Joseph1

I agree with tomthedog, could be a wheel bearing. Just replaced a right rear wheel bearing hub on 2001 Stratus (with only 24,000 miles) and no hummimg noise which started at about 30 mph. One mechanic thought it was the left front bearing because the noise was lower when turning right. Dodge dealer put sensors or chassis ears at all 4 wheels and said it was right rear.

Another way to check rear bearings is to have someone drive car while you put one ear against the plastic window trim at bottom of window. On my Stratus, you could definitely hear the noise from the RR bearing while the LR was quiet.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Bobbo

sweetness fellas, thanks

Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 AM
Bobbo

when i jack the car up and wiggle the wheel it dont vibrate.
i hear popping when i hit bumps... so im stumped

Old 06-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Joseph1

Bobbo,

My '01 Stratus rear wheel bearing was tight and did not make any noise when I jacked it up and rotated the wheel. However, it was noisy (a humming sound above 25 mph).

It cost me $39 to have the Dodge dealer put microphones at each wheel and drive it but they pin pointed the noise as right rear bearing. A tire shop was ready to change the left front bearingbecause the noise was less when turning right. So, it can fool you as to where the noise is coming from. Of course the dealer gave a credit of $39 on the replacement but charged more than independent shops to replace it.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:24 PM
tacoboy
Professional

Yes, wheel bearing is what it sounds like. I did one of mine (the one I thought was responsible for the noise at about 35mph)last fall only to find out that the noise was still there. Once I changed the other, the noise was gone. I also noticed that my steering wheel stopped shimmying. I guess it is good to replace both when only one is bad but that is up to you.

If it is anything like my 97, you will need a set of star sockets to get the three hub bolts (male torx head) off. Be patient and use a lot of penetrating oil.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Bobbo

maybe it is a 97... i guess they didnt make them in 95... however, just jacked the thing up today, and puter in gear... ya know watch the wheels spin. they are both out of round... new tires??? shucks wants like 85 bucks a side for bearings... anyone know any cheaper places? should i change the tires?

Quick Reply: cv joint, axle, or struts??? or other