Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Black 02 R/T Paint Peeling on Roof

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:07 PM
cfox69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black 02 R/T Paint Peeling on Roof

The paint on my roof started to peel in 05 down to the primer. I took it to the dealership and they said it wasn’t covered because I was just out of the original paint warranty. I have nursed it alongand now I am to the point that I have to get it painted. In the many forums I have looked it seems this problem is notthat uncommon.

The paint on the rest of the car is great. I have it cleaned and detailed regularly and have 52K miles on it.

Has anyone had any luck with negotiating with Dodge on this?

Thanx,
Craig

Old 06-13-2007, 07:03 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional
Default RE: Black 02 R/T Paint Peeling on Roof

i can almost guarntee they will do nothing. expecialy since its an 02. i have an 01 but the paint is still good so i cant speak from experience. most likey youll have to get it painted, shouldnt be that much since its only the roof

Old 06-13-2007, 07:09 PM
cfox69

Thanx for the reply.

I just contacted Dodge customer service to at least try for maybe splitting the cost.

As for cost right now I am looking at $1,200 for they have to remove the sunroof, windshield and rear window to get under the seal.

I am getting other quotes.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 AM
tomthedog
Captain

check at the local parts store, i've seen fact paint codes in spray cans. you don't need to pull crap. that what's masking tape (3Minvent this type of tape JUST FOR painting cars)is for.

the roof: open all the way, wrap newspaper around it. youmight still have to tape offsome of the roof before closing.

front glass: tape off the seal between the cab and glass. cover the window about 1/2 way down with paper.

rest of the car: get some cheap plastic drop cloths (for painting) at the local hardware store. go between the doors and cab (and any other thing you open, wrap, and close), use tape for other places.

spray away.

MAKE SURE you prep the car. get all the loose paint off, scuff up the paint to give the new paint something to hold on to, wash the to-be painted spot REAL good, and degrease before painting (denatured/isopropal alcohol, glass cleaner).

i had to spot paint my car with touch up paint/thinner and and airbrush (the kind with canned air, $15 @ hob lob). after buffing, i think i need a few more coats. hope it helps.

Quick Reply: Black 02 R/T Paint Peeling on Roof