Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Water under passenger seat! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:29 PM
ChaseOK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water under passenger seat! HELP!

I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus 4dr and I have a problem with water pooling up under the passenger seat. I have read other forums and there are more than a few people with this same issue.

Hey, I know exactly what's going on. My wife and I just went through the same thing. We also have a 2005 Stratus and as it turns out, it seems that on this particular model that they improperly place the drain under the car so that it leaks in instead of out. Just take it to the dealer and he/she will be able to simply reroute it to the outside for you. It shouldn't take long at all. Don't worry, it's nothing major, your car is perfectly ok aside from the aweful smell. That will go away to, may I suggest fabreze and a vacuum cleaner, preferably one that you would use at a manual car wash.
Does ANYONE know what needs to be rerouted? I have called a couple of dealerships and since there isn't a service bulletin on it they don't know what to do. I then tried calling Chrysler direct to see what could be done and that got me nowhere.
I have been a MOPAR guy all my life and this car has left a bad taste in my mouth (and stench in the air) about buying another one. They sure don't build them like they used to.

I also own,
'67 Dodge Dart GT
'68 Dodge Dart GT
'66 Dodge Coronet 500
'73 Plymouth Roadrunner
'95 Chrysler New Yorker

Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM
quikStrat98
Default RE: Water under passenger seat! HELP!

Hey man i have theat same problem except on the drivers side but it is an earlier model stratus but my problem was that i needed to replace a window and i was using foam that flooring installers use to keep the water out lol but im sure there is a solution maybe you should take it to someone who specializes in interior work and have him look at it

Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM
dpmo

I have a 2006 Stratus and have a pond in my back passenger floorboard. Thankfully it is still under manufacturer's warranty. I got a tbs # 24-018-05 and gave it to the dealership when I dropped it off. When I got it back I couldn't get rid of the smell, so they agreed to replace the carpet. Meanwhile, the water came back. When I went back I asked exactly what did they repair and they told me they replaced the seal around my door.Every time I mentioned the tbs, they skipped over it and repeatedly asked if I left my windows down. I don't know if you have been to the south lately, but until a week ago or so we haven't had any rain and I don't leave my windows down!!!!
My concerns are mold, rust and re-sale value.
Will the dealership check for mold and what do I do if it comes back?
The tracks under the seat are already rusted from this. Will they correct this?
How do I feel safe there is no rust on the floorboard and someone doesn't fall through it down the road?

Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM
NDIrish

I have a 2005 Stratus SXT and I had water under the passenger seat. I removed the seat and sucked out all the water. I found the drain for the ac located on the passenger side of the firewall. I then blew air into the end of the hose. All of the water that was left in the line blew out on the floor but it has not leaked on the floor since then. I got to it before it molded and was able to dry it out by pulling up the edge of the carpet and leaving a fan on it over night.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 PM
mediclev

I have a 96 stratus that always leaks water into the footwell on the drivers side. Reading your comments gave me some ideas, but it seems like the my car leaks water for another reason. It appears that water comes in between the plastic molding on the door sill on the floor and the black rubber seal. I can tell this because wet spots, starting at the sill,are visible going verticaly in a 1 cm wide path down towards were it pools on the floor. I have also noticed that the worst damage occurs when the car is standing in the rain on a flat surface, so when it rains I try to park it on a uphill slope. This helps. But one day I got really sick of it and I took out the seat, lifted the carpet all the way up, and took the whole dash apart. Water appeared to also drip down from the fire wall. I also doubt its AC because it happens even if it rains and I have not been using the AC. Numerous dealers have looked at it and no one came up with a solution. So there is my crazy rant, but it is true.

If you read this, thanks. If you can help, double thanks.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
quikStrat98

Water seems to be leaking in my driver side, i think it's because of the monor body damage i have, and i also feel a cold draft like air is getting in from that spot, have you ever tested to find the leak, try sitting in car while raining then maybe you can find your source

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
NDIrish

I am still getting this problem. I found a TSB that said replace the drain hose for the evaporator box on the firewall. That seamed to work until I started using the AC again this summer. Does anybody have any ideas or any new fixes fro this. My car has no body damage or bad window seals.

Quick Reply: Water under passenger seat! HELP!