Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008 | 08:02 PM
ndancosse
Default car wont start

please help ... ok wife started car 1 cold after noon last week ...it ran 1 min and stalled and hasnt started since ...
i at 1st thought gas line frozen but not the case ..we smell fuel and i hear pump working.
so i checked spark plugs just to be thorough and i did tune up last year so i was sure it wasnt them but like i said ...being thorough ... since car has 150,000 miles already i was thinking maybe the ignition coil and didnt think how to test it so i wasted $100 buying a new 1 and that wasnt the problem to best of my knowledge.after i tried new 1 and that wasnt the issue ,i went back to parts store and realized they had a spark tester so i bought it ...hooked it to 1 of the plug wires and turned over car and no spark ...i didnt try other plug wires coming off coil as i felt if no spark in 1 than probably no spark in others ...
so what sends "juice" to coil that in turn gives plugs spark?
theres no code on my car ..i checked by turning key on/off 3 times and than it generates codes in odometer readout.
i read in haynes theres an ignition relay/fuse under hood but if i pull cap off box it shows numbers not labels indicating which goes to what ...so what do i try next before towing to garage?...
2004 stratus 2.4 DOHC SE

Old 01-17-2008 | 08:40 PM
gradedgraydad
Default RE: car wont start

44 readers and no replies!!! This forum sucks.

What does the manual say about crank- and camshaft sensors. If they don't send signals, the car won't run. I had a bad crank sensor that I found by troubleshooting w/o check engine code. I did have to tie in some test leads to determine which one wasn't working, though.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: car wont start