Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 01:08 PM
jut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

Hi,

I am looking at an automatic2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe with 91,000 miles. How much do you think I should pay, asking $6000? I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight of this car, what common problems to look for, etc. Any help is needed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM
nate_0022
Captain
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

I would ask the owner what kinds of things have been kept up with as far as maintenance goes. Usually the timming belt and water pump need to be changed around 60k, but I changed mine at 105K. I guess 6K isn't a bad price, I've heard people getting cars for aroun 4-5k with about the same miles. As far as problems go I would say motor mounts, dash cracking, all I can think of off hand.

[/align]

Old 01-08-2008, 03:48 PM
jut

thanks nate!!

Ill ask for for all the maintenance papers. I was going to offer $5500. The only thing that scares me about the car is that anyone I talk to says Dodge cars are no good. They are always having problems, breaking down, etc. Are they lacking knowledge about dodge cars??

Thanks,

Justin

Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM
nate_0022
Captain

I'm not sure but I haven't had a problem, I just kept up with general maintenence.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: jut

thanks nate!!

Ill ask for for all the maintenance papers. I was going to offer $5500. The only thing that scares me about the car is that anyone I talk to says Dodge cars are no good. They are always having problems, breaking down, etc. Are they lacking knowledge about dodge cars??

Thanks,

Justin
That Dodge aint no "Dodge". Its all Mitsubshi. I have the 4cyl version, and only have the problems Nate mentioned. Every car/ car maker has problems. None are perfect.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM
jut

Thanks! Thats what I figured but I wanted some more input.

-Justin

Old 01-12-2008, 12:06 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

i have a 2001 dodge stratus R/T coupe. mine has 115,000 miles. i've had to replace engine damper pulley (the old when literally fell in half when the belt was removed to change a bad idler pulley bearing), and the entire rear suspension bushings. make sure you don't mind having a hard time turning into parking spots (it turns like an extended cab full box pickup) and not being able to see because of the A-pillars, or the GIGANTIC C-pillars if you are backing up. also, how tall are you? i'm 5'6 and i almost hit my head on the roof (granted, i COULD put the seat a LITTLE lower, but not a terrible amount) and i have to stoop to see traffic lights if i'm the lead car at a red light. and there isn't really any hard pull from the engine (i have the 3.0 V6) until about 3500-4000 then it pulls pretty well. the autostick feature is pretty dumb tho, it takes way too long to shift after you tell it to. nice feature for long slow downhills tho.
the 17's mine has are also expensive to replace with anything decent (do NOT put Fusion HRi's on this car unless you are on a dry road 100% of the time, they have NO rain traction)
i've also had to switch in a new transmission. my old one blew the input shaft ring into 3 or 4 pieces.

if you can overlook all of this, great car, nice feature set, decent comfort, decent mileage, and i will admit, the car does look DAMN nice (should be rear wheel drive though, with all the overhang in the rear, to put some nice meats back there)

Old 01-12-2008, 11:22 PM
nate_0022
Captain

I'm 5'10" and I don't have a problem with the height position, my head has a decent amount of space from the roof. Haven't had any mehcanicale problems (knock of wood), you must have just gotten a lemon or something lol.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 AM
lngbrding
Professional

I've replaced one of the transmission mounts, let's see... That's it really. The dash has cracks in it like Nate mentioned. That seems to be a common trend. I'll be changing the timing belt, tensioner and water pump in the net month because it's over due. But I've had no real problems with it at all.

I bought my '01 on a lot last year and they started at $7K on the sticker... I haggled for 3 days with them and walked away after plopping down $4,300 cash.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: ryleynoyes

i have a 2001 dodge stratus R/T coupe. mine has 115,000 miles. i've had to replace engine damper pulley (the old when literally fell in half when the belt was removed to change a bad idler pulley bearing), and the entire rear suspension bushings. make sure you don't mind having a hard time turning into parking spots (it turns like an extended cab full box pickup) and not being able to see because of the A-pillars, or the GIGANTIC C-pillars if you are backing up. also, how tall are you? i'm 5'6 and i almost hit my head on the roof (granted, i COULD put the seat a LITTLE lower, but not a terrible amount) and i have to stoop to see traffic lights if i'm the lead car at a red light. and there isn't really any hard pull from the engine (i have the 3.0 V6) until about 3500-4000 then it pulls pretty well. the autostick feature is pretty dumb tho, it takes way too long to shift after you tell it to. nice feature for long slow downhills tho.
the 17's mine has are also expensive to replace with anything decent (do NOT put Fusion HRi's on this car unless you are on a dry road 100% of the time, they have NO rain traction)
i've also had to switch in a new transmission. my old one blew the input shaft ring into 3 or 4 pieces.

if you can overlook all of this, great car, nice feature set, decent comfort, decent mileage, and i will admit, the car does look DAMN nice (should be rear wheel drive though, with all the overhang in the rear, to put some nice meats back there)
Your a midget trying to drive a coupe....no wonder you have issues....

I'm 6'2" and wear a size 15-16 shoe.....so dont talk to me about height issues or foot space. This car has plenty of both. Is it the best? Not at all, but there are very few coupes that offer as much space as this car does.

I had a 2002 R/T coupe, 5spd 3.0 V6. I lowered it on Eibach springs and it handled really well, other then the rare deep hole I might drive by.....averaged about 25-30mpg depending on how much city driving i did....and the manual version is sooo much better then the autostick

The issues are pretty basic: timing belts, motor mounts, and the dash cracks on the earlier year models.... I got my 02 for about 13k with 38k on it....

As for wheels, I had 17" Toyo Proxes4 tires on it originally, but I wound up switching to Falken Ziex 512's with new rims delivered to me for $755..... quality tires too.

Best advice I can give is to have it looked over by a decent mechanic and if you like it, enjoy it. If you need tires....I'd suggest you take a quick visit to www.edgeracing.com

They've got a bunch of good rim & tire combos for under $850 delivered...

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe