Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Little/No Heat & stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 07:37 AM
GreenwoodGuy65
Default Little/No Heat & stiff steering

Hi all

I have two things:

1) I dont' seem to be getting very much heat coming thru my vents. A few weeks ago I tried to move the selector from outside air to cycle inside air and it was very stiff, but it moved. I change the selection because I had a problem with the windows fogging up. I tried to move the selector back, but it took some doing. Now, it feels very loose to turn, like the **** has broken off or something. I think the selector is stuck on the outside air position, but I am not getting very much heat, even with the heat selection to full.

2) I have noticed recently that my power steering seems to be very stiff, especially when turning the wheel when backing up or when making a turn, not so that the steering hits the limits of travel, but a tight turn none the less. It makes a straining/squealing sound. It doesn't happen all the time and it only is noticeable when I turn when driving in town, say turning in an intersection.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2008 | 09:00 AM
Flash_Gordon2392
Rookie
Default RE: Little/No Heat & stiff steering

ORIGINAL: GreenwoodGuy65

Hi all

I have two things:

1) I dont' seem to be getting very much heat coming thru my vents. A few weeks ago I tried to move the selector from outside air to cycle inside air and it was very stiff, but it moved. I change the selection because I had a problem with the windows fogging up. I tried to move the selector back, but it took some doing. Now, it feels very loose to turn, like the **** has broken off or something. I think the selector is stuck on the outside air position, but I am not getting very much heat, even with the heat selection to full.

2) I have noticed recently that my power steering seems to be very stiff, especially when turning the wheel when backing up or when making a turn, not so that the steering hits the limits of travel, but a tight turn none the less. It makes a straining/squealing sound. It doesn't happen all the time and it only is noticeable when I turn when driving in town, say turning in an intersection.

Thanks!

Goodmorning, GreenwoogGuy65;
To answer your second question,[sm=confused06.gif][sm=drlove.gif]Did you check the power steering level[sm=confused06.gif] [sm=drlove.gif]?Because that might be the problem that you are having.Now with your first question,[sm=sorry.gif][sm=sorry.gif]I am lost of words about this problem[sm=signs003.gif][sm=signs003.gif]!

Old 01-14-2008 | 05:01 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator

The cable mignt be bound up or came loose to keep it from moving ... you'll have to get in behind the controls and look at the cable , possibly might just need lubed up ...

As for no heat you might have a bad thermostat , clogged heater core , bad radiator cap , or just need aa radiator flush

Old 01-14-2008 | 07:41 PM
tacoboy
Professional

Loose power steering belt? I have the same problem. I tightened it when I had the need to do other work underneath but it has since started up again until the car gets warm and the condensation dries out.

Old 01-19-2008 | 02:01 PM
drhertz

Outside/Inside Air selector issue:

I have a 98 Stratus and my selector would only go about 75% closed (inside air). I had to replace my heater blower motor resistor for another problem and during dis-assembly of the blower motor assembly I was able to locate the door that opens and closes for the outside/inside air selector which is connected to the dashboard control. There was a piece of wheather stripping way up at the dash board level that fell down from above and wedges into this door opening, thus not allowing the door to close all the way. This also caused my seletor **** to break because it is made of plastice and I forced it too hard. Anyway , taping up the wheather stripping fixed the problem, but because of space issues without tearing more of the car apart the wheather stripping has appaently fallen again because I now have the same problem six months later. I am either going to have to tear the system apart further or remove the wheather stripping completely. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Little/No Heat & stiff steering