Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Transmission Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:46 AM
taswaim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Swap

I've got a 2003 stratus sxt and i want to swap out my auto tranny for a manual tranny, any thoughts? hints, advice? something? it would be nice to take a eclipse sport tronic tranny, but i think that wouldnt work. help me out people!!

Old 02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
RTcamping

ok dude,</P>

I guess my 1st question is: why didn't you buy a manual if that's what you wanted. these dodges are all over the place, can't imagine a lack of availability. maybe i'm campin off the rocker? well, from my understanding of the computer/electronics sytems applied in newer cars today; swaping from an auto to a manual will be VERY EXPENSIVE. you can do anything you want if you got the dough. here are some challenges you'll run into; the computer program for auto's is programmed to communicate with the control computer for the auto trans; take out the auto, and the engine computer will have to be reprogrammed or replaced with a different version. also, manual and automatic shifter assemblies are extremely different and require much of the engine compartment and center console(both in and outside-underneath car) to be dissassemled. not to mention the labor involved in swapping the tranny. Frankly, at the rate these cars DEVALUE; it would be like pissing your money into the wind. fact; my friend bought 2000 v6 triptronic/ leather and everything but a butt wiper new for $19,850. 70,000 miles now, still mint, and dealers won't pay anymore than $4,500 on trade. So, I don't now what you paid for yours, but there's the math. add about a minimum of $5geebose (your new manual tranny project)to your purchase price and look where you'll be in just 3 years. Plan on keeping the car a long time? bad news, these cars are not designed to last a long time. 70k and your done. believe me, the only reason we know what the trde value on the 2000 status is because it's falling apart and costing way too much to justify keep on fixing. it's stupid. toyota, honda, or a good ole gmc truck will be on the list for next buy for my friend.</P>

Old 02-04-2004, 08:47 PM
spsalziger

RTcamping</P>

I don't know where you got that 70k and crap idea. I have a 97 Stratus with over 104k. At 102k I rebuilt the engine and trany for more hp and speed, but I never had any problems when it was stock, it still ran like a dream. There's no rust on it and its a Michigan car (salt all winter) Proper maintenance will do wonders for a car. The only problem i've had is it needs new rotors, but with this kind of mileage it's about due.</P>

As for the cars value your right they don't holdvalue well at all.</P>

Old 02-04-2004, 09:14 PM
spsalziger

taswaim</P>

Here's a company that can give you an idea on what your going to get into with the tranny swap, I believe thats what they specialize in. Back Yard Productions (305)249-4979</P>

Hope this can help you out. Good Luck</P>

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap