Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

stratus shutting off

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM
yyzdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stratus shutting off

Hi,

New to posting here, but have gotten alot of help from reading the forums.

I have a 98 stratus auto 2.4 that has 220,000 km on it. Recently it has been shutting off when i tend to light accelerate or while backing up. A year back this was a rare occurence, but this winter it has happened more often so i tried to recreate the problem and try to figure out when exactly it occurs. Turns out that from a full stop, if i gently press the gas and let go, the car will stutter and turn off. Ofcourse this happens in reverse as well. If i continue to acceleratewithout letting go, the car wont do this. It wont happen if I put the car in drive and let it coast.

I havent been able to find a reliable trustworthy mechanic in all my time here, so I'd appreciate any ideas you guys can share.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
littlepunk29
Amateur
Default RE: stratus shutting off

I've got a 97 2.4 that was doing something similar...Turned out to be the MAP sensor. Like 80 bucks, but it runs great now. Also, the ignition coil was starting to go bad, so I had replaced it first, but still had the shutting off problem. Mine occured when driving slowly as I moved my foot off of gas and headed toward brake. Had been a problem for a loooong time. I thought it was vaccuum problems first, so I replaced the vaccuum hose elbows (this helped, but didn't solve the problem).

During the process I replaced the vaccuum elbows, the Idle Air Control (which improved gas mileage!), the spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil, and lastly the MAP.

I suggest MAP to fix the problem, and to check the vaccuum lines just in case.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:44 PM
rlenahan
Default RE: stratus shutting off

I am having similar problem and I notice that many others have had it too. I have read many threads with as many "solutions". I have a 98 stratus with a 2.4l DOHC engine. I can be driving along and the engine begins to shudder and cough like it isnt getting enough gas. I pressed the gas pedal down to get more gasto the engine but that only caused it to turn off completely. The check engine light came on but did not stay on after the car shut off. A local STS said it was the fuel pump and they replaced it. Then it happened again and I had it towed back to STS but the next morning it started ok for them so they changed the crank sensor. Then it happened again and I had it towed home and then the next day had it towed to a different mechanic. Again it started up for that mechanic. It seemed like the act of towing the car with the front end up did something to correct the situation. Now it's happened 3 more times and after it sits overnight, whether towed or not, it will start eventually, but I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking as if its flooded. When it does start it idles very choppy, but eventually it evens out and runs smoothly. Autozone did a free Check Engine Light diagnosis and the codes P0300 and P0303 came up indicating random cylinder and cylinder 3 misfiring. Somehow I don't think this is the cause of the shutting down problem, but one effect of it. Probable causes for the misfire are 1. ignition system fault(plugs, wires, coil; 2. Vacuum leak; 3. Injector fault; 4 High or low fuel pressure. So are these the problems or is it a clogged fuel filter or what? Any experience is appreciated.

Quick Reply: stratus shutting off