Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Car Trouble-Hard Shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 04:29 PM
brownkid6945
Default Car Trouble-Hard Shift

Ok I have a 2003 Dodge Stratus automatic with 39,000 miles on it. I have been noticing that when my car shifts from first gear to second gear it is a hard shift. It sort jerks the car, but it doesnt do that with any other shifts like when going into first or shifting from second to third. I went to the dodge Store and got a transmission flush and changed the filter but it didnt help.

I called them because i still have a warranty on my car but they said it would cost 120 dollars to diagnose it and it it is my transmission its the 200 deductible to fix it.

I called AAmco and they only charge 50 to diagnose....

any ideas on what its it?

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:33 PM
Billiam
Champion
Default RE: Car Trouble-Hard Shift

You might want to check the right section of the forum. The Stratus section would help you more then the off topic.

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:36 PM
mcdcwilliams
Record Breaker

I have ideas!

but not about your stratus... sorry

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:40 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

DO NOT take it to AAMCO. You will regret it. Find a reputable local transmission shop, not a chain. Personally if it were me, I would just take it to the dealer.

Btw, you know what AAMCO stands for, right?

All
Automatics
Must
Come
Out

Old 07-31-2008 | 04:57 PM
brownkid6945

Well I want to take it to Dodge but again they want to charge 120 to diagnose it plus a 200 dollar deductible to use the warranty.

Do you think I would get reimbursed the 120 diagnosis fee if it is covered by the warranty. I dont understand why I would have to pay it if it is something covered under my warranty

Old 08-05-2008 | 05:27 PM
lshep
Default RE: Hard shift

Dodge is fully aware of what your transmission problem is. I had the same issue you are claiming to have and it wasn't until I went out of warranty, that they agreed I had a problem and my trans needed to rebuilt. I fought HARD to make the dealer pay for it b/c of the history of complaints I had with the hard shifting. Find another dealer that won't charge you a diag fee, b/c not all do.

It has to do with some kind of a seal that goes bad that is simple to replace. What I didn't know was that the dealer kept lubing the seal and my car ran like a champ for a few weeks until it went bad again. Eventually it caused more issues such as metal shavings to get into my trans. I haven't been having the same issues now that my trans is rebuilt.

Don't give up and don't let the dealer take you for a ride either. And keep ALL of your documentation until you no longer have your car. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Car Trouble-Hard Shift