Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'96 Stratus 2.4 Head Gasket major help wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005 | 08:23 PM
stratbro
Default '96 Stratus 2.4 Head Gasket major help wanted

i just got a '96 non operatiional Stratus 2.4 with 35,000 original miles( my first car). I figure the head gasket is blown caus of an overheating problem maybe caused by a bad water pump. The car will start but shoots water out the radiator cap. I started to take the sucker apart using a Chiltons manual but I'm stalled cause i can't find the timimg marks that are supposed to be set to tdc before taking off the timing belt.i can't figure out how to take off the timing covers and I can't begin to figure how to take off the power steering pump or water pump. Chiltons is of no help caus the 2.4 L is not the standard engine for the car. They describe the 2.0 and the v6 more than the 2.4. This is the most difficult engine i have every seen to work on. Would it be easier to remove the engine to replace the head gasket, and water pump. Is there a cutaway view of the 2.4 anywhere? thanks

Old 01-30-2005 | 09:49 PM
janmafian
Default RE: '96 Stratus 2.4 Head Gasket major help wanted

Hey there! I just did the head gasket on my girlfirends stratus and it's pain...You have to do lot of things before removing. To take of the inner timing belt plastic cover you have to take of the passanger side motor mount. You'll need to pull out the coolant reservoir. Don't forget to support engine by jack so you can lower or lift when needed. If you don't take off the inner timing belt cover you won't be able to take the camshafts off. Those you need to take off, because you would not get to the head screws. You also have to take off the air intake. And lay down under the car to lose 4 bolts connecting the exhaust manifold to the catalyzator. I put it all together yesterday and today i did the timing belt..it's another story. You know to get the marks right...But when I put everything together and conencted back the battery, the engine don't fire up. That's my problem for now..:-) I guess it's because I had the computer too long without the power and it's not giving power to fuel injectors now, so I probably need to reset the computer. If anybody can help with this please e-mail me janmafian@yahoo.com....good luck with the head gasket.

BTW...the head gasket set cost $145.00 at dealer. It includes the intake and manifol gasket, valve cover gasket, sparkplugs rings and camshaft silenoids. It's lot better than to pay $1300 at the shop..:-)

Old 03-12-2005 | 03:58 PM
PearlStealthRT_TT
Professional
Default RE: '96 Stratus 2.4 Head Gasket major help wanted

if water was shooting out og the radiator cap.....shouldnt you have tightened it?? instead of pulling the motor apart??

Quick Reply: '96 Stratus 2.4 Head Gasket major help wanted